Which of these lenses should I use for sunset pictures?

memily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! I have my eye on a really great spot to take pictures and I wanted to ask you all for advice on which lens to use. I will be standing across the water taking pictures of the sun setting over skyscrapers and a bridge.

Which lens would you shoot with (my options are limited at this time):
-Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
-Canon 50mm f/1.8
-Canon 100mm f/2.8

Also, feel free to offer any other tips and advice for this type of setting.

Thanks for your help!

No correct answer here. Try them all and focus on your composition. You can take great photos with all of those lenses.

^^ I would add to tire's post ... don't forget you can put the dark part at the top and bottom of the grad ND

Any of these lenses will yield a great photo, but I'd probably go with the Tamron for two reasons: 1) it's a zoom lens, and also the widest one of the three, therefore it will allow you more composition choices; 2) it's an f/2.8, which is a win over the 50mm pancake since you'll be shooting directly into the sun (with aperture stopped down as much as possible, I assume).
Also I assume that you'll be using a tripod. And use of either a neutral-density or polarizing filter (depending on the effect you'd like to achieve and your angle against the sun), as well as HDR merging as mentioned in previous replies, would be highly recommended.

summary:
- Tamron
- ND and POL filters
- tripod
- bracketing (HDR or not, it will come in handy)

Hey guys! I have my eye on a really great spot to take pictures and I wanted to ask you all for advice on which lens to use. I will be standing across the water taking pictures of the sun setting over skyscrapers and a bridge.

Which lens would you shoot with (my options are limited at this time):
-Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
-Canon 50mm f/1.8
-Canon 100mm f/2.8

Also, feel free to offer any other tips and advice for this type of setting.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you everyone!

Any of these lenses will yield a great photo, but I'd probably go with the Tamron for two reasons: 1) it's a zoom lens, and also the widest one of the three, therefore it will allow you more composition choices; 2) it's an f/2.8, which is a win over the 50mm pancake since you'll be shooting directly into the sun (with aperture stopped down as much as possible, I assume).
Also I assume that you'll be using a tripod. And use of either a neutral-density or polarizing filter (depending on the effect you'd like to achieve and your angle against the sun), as well as HDR merging as mentioned in previous replies, would be highly recommended.

summary:
- Tamron
- ND and POL filters
- tripod
- bracketing (HDR or not, it will come in handy)

Thanks boomstik, that really helps! Yes, I'll definitely have my tripod. You all have me looking at filters now ;) and I will re-read the HDR section of Scott Kelby's Photoshop book--sounds overwhelming but I might give it a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back