which photo editing software to get?

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot pictures with RAW format. For now, I use Canon ZoomBrowser to do editing & conversion. However with Vista, it is really slow. It literally take 10-30 sec to convert a files & another 10sec to trim a pic. I will be sitting on my PC all day longs if I have couple hundred pics.
I don't like to do extensive editing. I am suck at it, maybe that's why. I try to take good pictures & do very minor editing but there are time I hope I have something powerful to save my pictures.
I tried out Lightroom, like it very much but is $300 too expensive. I can afford Element but I am intimidated by having to create layers etc.
Any suggestion what is cheap & good?
Thanks.

GIMP crashes on Vista. Damn Vista.

I really like Lightroom, I do most of my editing with it now, but it's real strength is in how it allows you to handle your workflow, especially when you have lots of images to work with.

Elements is like Photoshop Lite, it can do just about anything you would want to do for photo editing. Certainly a good program but I don't know that it will speed up your workflow.

What are your computer's specs? More RAW will probably improve your processing time.

I don't think the problem is Vista.

I have Vista and everything works fine on it.

+1 for lightroom... it completely changed my work flow (for the better) but its not cheap.. $300

If you know computers/internet its all free... I use lightroom aswell, worth all my efforts.
try,
www.isohunt.com
www.mininova.org
www.piratebay.org

I am not responsible if you find yourself downloading and installing a virus...

edit: though if i was doing this profesionaly there is no way i'd be aquiring the software the way i do, I WOULD be paying for it, but as a hobby $100's on just software is defenatly not worth it.

Gimp has never crashed on my vista running computer. It seems it's so easy to blame Vista for every problem someone's computer has. I've never had any problems with vista (business 32).

Anyway, for most of my editing I use lightroom. It cannot do as much as gimp or photoshop, but for the stuff one most does it does it VERY well. You can even sort of make your own layers (with the brush), so it can be very convenient. Also, it has a great library system so it's easy to go through your pictures.

I think I got it for about 100 with a student discount.

The Righteous White Knights Of Internet Honesty in 3. . .2. . .1 -

i was going to mention torrents.. but, I dont think the forum promotes stealing..

Most reactions

Back