White Balance in Night Clubs

shimabuku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend asked me to take some photos at his nightclub this coming weekend. Not sure how to tackle white balance in that type of lighting conditions. For those of you that take photos in nightclubs, do you use custom white balance or one of the in-camera white balance presets? Not quite sure how a white balance reference card will benefit me at a nightclub. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

You have a 5D Mark II and 7D? Install Magic Lantern firmware onto the one your using and adjust the preset WB settings by the Kelvin. Works so great!

Light Guru said:
Just shoot raw you can then adjust the WB later if needed.

I definitely agree with this. I'd say set a preset white balance. Then in post, select them all and adjust it to where it seems fitting

Thanks guys! I'll just keep it at AWB and shoot raw then edit in post.

shimabuku said:

Ok good luck :) party up Mario

White balance is based on having an understanding of the "color temperature" of the lights. In so many settings, there's only one type of lighting in the room -- one "temperature" that you can correct for. Knowing the "temperature" allows the camera to remove the color cast so that colors reveal the way they would if they were only lit by the sun.

This doesn't really apply to a night club where there are MANY different types of lights, many color temperatures, and they aren't shades of white... they're supposed to be colored and applying a color cast to the room (lots of colors at the same time.)

White balance is sort of pointless in that environment. Just shoot RAW and don't worry about it. If you find the photos don't look right when you're post processing them, adjust it on the computer.

If the lighting in a club consists of different light types (different light color temperatures) white balance can only be accurately set, pre or post process, for a single light color temperature.

IMO concert and club photography doesn't have a "white balance". You simply shoot and do slight post work to show accurate lighting colors. Don't worry with it until you get home.

The key is remembering that white balance is not perfect skin tone, it's the actual color of the light shining on the subject.
Set a custom white balance when no colored lights are on and then shoot away. When you have hot pink people cuz the light is hot pink-that's correct white balance

A friend asked me to take some photos at his nightclub this coming weekend. Not sure how to tackle white balance in that type of lighting conditions. For those of you that take photos in nightclubs, do you use custom white balance or one of the in-camera white balance presets? Not quite sure how a white balance reference card will benefit me at a nightclub. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
A general guide that works well for me is this...when the color of the light is an element of the scene (sunset, candlelight, club lights, etc.) then I use the Daylight preset to retain the color. When the color of the light is not an element of the scene, then a custom white balance always gives me the best result.

Thanks for the tip!

I forgot to mention that ceiling in this venue is black and the walls are somewhat yellowish. I'm thinking of going with a black foamie thing or Fong diffuser, what do you guys think?

For me, auto WB gets real close, especially for mixed lighting. I also shoot raw so it's easy to adjust in post, if needed.

bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back