White Balance

dbird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that white balance is important, but don't know all of the details about it. Can someone recommend a book or help me understand what it does and why it's so important? I use a Canon 5D and I can adjust the white balance on my camera, but I am not sure how to do so. Can someone help me please?

Thank you. I'll check this site out right now!

So do you just correct it with photoshop or some other editing software, or is it better to correct it within your camera first?

So do you just correct it with photoshop or some other editing software, or is it better to correct it within your camera first?

FWIW I know the official photographer for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and I just asked him how he deals with the white balance given the ever changing lighting colors they use. His response was that he sometimes will set a custom WB but usually he just does it in post processing.

As with most things, it's probably best to get it right when shooting.
That being said, White Balance is one of those things that is not applied to the image when you shoot in RAW format. So you can open the RAW file after the shoot and change the WB, without hurting the image.
This is one reason I mainly shoot in RAW with Auto White Balance.

I also have been shooting in RAW with auto WB simply because I didn't know how to adjust my WB before I take a shot. Thank you both for helping me!!

Most reactions

Back