White highlights in food.

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The food can be improved but what about the photo ?

The white highlights in the image ?

Are they OK ?

Or how to avoid them the next time I shoot the food ?

Thanks ..

scalloped potatoes-1.jpg

Are they OK ?

Thanks ..

View attachment 115183

Use more side-lighting, with a narrow beam of light, with a white reflector on the opposite side.

Are they OK ?

Thanks ..

View attachment 115183

Use more side-lighting, with a narrow beam of light, with a white reflector on the opposite side.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a softbox on the left at a 45 degree angle about 3 feet from the food and a small white reflector almost touching the right side of the plate.

I have a bigger white reflector but I can't get it as close to the food.

Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

First I would try rotating the plate to see if the reflections can be removed. I would probably also try a CPL to try and remove the reflections. It might also be possible to use a towel to remove any reflective liquid that might be on the surface of the food.

Easy fix with the clone tool in post. Your pics have gotten much better by the way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

do you have a white shower curtain you can use?

string it up between the food and flash.

make the light source HUGE and more diffused.

Besides the strong specular highlights, that above shot is looking pretty good. Seeing lots of improvement.

do you have a white shower curtain you can use?

string it up between the food and flash.

make the light source HUGE and more diffused.

Besides the strong specular highlights, that above shot is looking pretty good. Seeing lots of improvement.

Thanks for the encouragement !

I can buy a white shower curtain but I took the photo with a softbox and not a flash.

Softbox is 20x20"

Michael

Easy fix with the clone tool in post. Your pics have gotten much better by the way.

Thanks for the encouragement !

Actually I thought the photo probably wasn't worth messing with but I will use the PS clone.

I didn't like the fact that the potatoes had sunk revealing a crust but people on FB like the crust and say it makes them feel hungry.

Have just been talking about the way that photographers and the general public see photos differently on another of my threads.

Michae

I can buy a white shower curtain but I took the photo with a softbox and not a flash.

still a flash in the softbox.

Softbox is 20x20"

yeah i think that's too small for this, or it at least needs to be closer.

something like here: Food Photography Gear Guide | Fstoppers

look at the last setup shot, he put a large scrim between the light source and the food.

similar to the softboxes behided the scrim in this setup:

watch at 2:50 - 5:00 at 8:00 he shows the difference in the light without the tracing paper in front -- shows the problem youre having.

still a flash in the softbox.

Softbox is 20x20"

yeah i think that's too small for this, or it at least needs to be closer.

something like here: Food Photography Gear Guide | Fstoppers

look at the last setup shot, he put a large scrim between the light source and the food.

similar to the softboxes behided the scrim in this setup:

watch at 2:50 - 5:00 at 8:00 he shows the difference in the light without the tracing paper in front -- shows the problem youre having.

Very helpful thanks and I found something else there to.

How to shoot overhead shots with a tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Horizontal-Accessory-Supporting-Photography/dp/B0015ASKMY

Not sure if it's compatible with my tripod.

What does this mean ?
  • Uses mini-clamp that can be attached to any tripod head with 1/4 x 20 camera mount

• Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks good!

If you don't like the fact that it sunk, re plate it! No one has to know :)

Can you just bring down the hightlights and adjust exposure in Lr? Along with that the advice of using a larger diffuser seems spot on.

I would perhaps add a fresh potato or a sack of them in the background and/or a wine glass and cutlery. A fresh herb that ( preferably one used in the preparation of the dish) such as thyme would give a pop of color and freshness.

A sprig of parsley even. And wipe the rim! Nevermind what facebook says ( although if they are your customers re think this), give them something they cannot even fathom, they will love it even more.

OG

Looks good!

If you don't like the fact that it sunk, re plate it! No one has to know :)

Can you just bring down the hightlights and adjust exposure in Lr? Along with that the advice of using a larger diffuser seems spot on.

I would perhaps add a fresh potato or a sack of them in the background and/or a wine glass and cutlery. A fresh herb that ( preferably one used in the preparation of the dish) such as thyme would give a pop of color and freshness.

A sprig of parsley even. And wipe the rim! Nevermind what facebook says ( although if they are your customers re think this), give them something they cannot even fathom, they will love it even more.

OG

Made some changes in LR and PS a couple obvious and some less so.

I have a thread going about knives and forks and props and the bottom line is that photographers like it and the general public 100% don't, really don't. They find it all very distracting. Parsley etc is of course good for adding green but it would look an obvious addition to something that just came out of the oven.

2nd attempt at Pabellón Criollo
scalloped potatoes-1.jpg

The general public prefer these type of images.

http://www.davidloftus.com/food#41

http://www.davidloftus.com/food#4

http://www.davidloftus.com/food#23

And especially for a cookbook where people's attention is on the food.

David Loftus does the photos for Jamie Oliver's cookbooks and revenue for books is now over $250,000,000 - two hundred and fifty million dollars.

So Loftus must be doing something right ;-)

People on FB love the crust on the rim. Looks natural. Imagine it without the crust. Sterile.

The difference between what the public likes and what photographers like is very interesting to me.

I'm doing a cookbook so I have to veer to what the public like.

Thanks for your post.

Michael

So I looked real quick at the first Loftus page you linked, about 80% had a prop/ cutlery etc the ones that have nothing are to make the others stand out.

I have seen you argue the point ( simplicity, people like it photogs dont)before here and I think you are beating a dead horse or however the saying goes; wrong.

I actually used one of Jamies books during my cooking class last week and was basically flipping through it showing pics, which were anything but plain.

OG

Second pic is wxtremely staged, the onions are raw, shrimp is cooked.

Looks like a keeper. Well done sir, no pun intended [emoji4]

Most reactions

Back