who has heard of/used horseman cameras?

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My dad called my shortly from Colorado this avo and was telling me about his camera collection... he said he was going to put stuff up on ebay but i can could have any of the stuff of his I wanted.

He has several nikons, a yashica mat, a mamiya (which he hates) but when he told me had a 4x5 camera called a horseman and my ears really perked up. He said it had bellows and needed a tripod to work it...

I had a look in ksmattfish's collection and saw he didn't have one :shock: also i found a few on the net and some of their prices were astronomical! some where $5000+ USD. I am pretty excited about this, i knew me old man had some goodies and I am really excited about this find. He says he's gonna email me a list of his cameras and lenses soon (soon means a matter of months :roll: )

:headbang:

I have no idea how'll its gonna get to nz, but where there is a will there's way!

So have any of you heard of horseman? Anyone ever used horseman cameras? Thanks for any input!!

I never used one, but I've heard of them. I know of the folders and of the wooden field cameras, both in 4x5 format. They look to be a quality, entry-level camera and a great way to get into large format.

And congrats! That's quite a steal, even if you have to pay for shipping.

8) sweet@!

thanks for that info mark

quite honestly, i would be scared to death to have it shipped here, especially with the bloody goods and services taxes. It might call for a emergency visit to the states - which i am always up for :)

oh, my dad did mention it took sheet film as well, i don't know much about that stuff.

I haven't used large format myself, but that's all it comes in, as far as I know (unless you start talking about glass plates).

If you think shooting medium format makes you slow down and really think about the shot, large film ups the ante even more. It's not something to start out with, as the price-per-shot is so expensive compared to 35mm. It's hard to shoot a lot to get the experience in.

I learned a lot by shooting with my Yashica-Mat EM (6x6), but I also learned that trying large format would not be a good idea for me.

I have a friend that shoots 4x5 exclusively, though. His work shows a real eye for light, in my opinion.

Yeah i was thinking you could send Voodoo the Nikon, and i'll take the Mamiya! :) I'll pay for shipping too :D

Horseman makes top-o-line cameras. If you think you have an interest in LF then hang onto it. It can always be sold later.

No, I get the Mamiya. I've already got a Yashicamat... you can send that Havoc's way.

Grab the Yashicamat whatever you do. Still good cameras and a good way to start into medium format. Horseman is excellent in the large format photography. I have a Mat 124G and it is my favorite "toy".

Vonn- there are already super-expensive digital backs that'll fit on that Horseman. Someday they might even be affordable.

Vonn- there are already super-expensive digital backs that'll fit on that Horseman. Someday they might even be affordable.

interesting - do you have a link for that? I think in reality i want to get my hands dirty with the darkroom with this though.. but I know its going to quite a big undertaking for newbie in a darkroom with large format.

Make friends with the dark Vonny, if your doing LF. Quite an undertaking for your first darkroom experience. You sure you don't wanna give me that Mamiya? Then i would love to give you any tips i can LOL :p

vonnagy said:
My dad called my shortly from Colorado this avo and was telling me about his camera collection... he said he was going to put stuff up on ebay but i can could have any of the stuff of his I wanted.

He has several nikons, a yashica mat, a mamiya (which he hates) but when he told me had a 4x5 camera called a horseman and my ears really perked up. He said it had bellows and needed a tripod to work it...

So have any of you heard of horseman? Anyone ever used horseman cameras? Thanks for any input!!

Vonnagy, I'm jealous!... Why can't I have a dad that would be willing to give me some nice equipment?? :evil: :D

Anyway, Horseman is a great LF camera and yes, they have digital backs (or adapters) for it. Here is the link:

http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital_frame.html

Good luck with the Horseman, you'll love it!!

vonnagy said:

Vonnagy, I'm jealous!... Why can't I have a dad that would be willing to give me some nice equipment?? :evil: :D

Anyway, Horseman is a great LF camera and yes, they have digital backs (or adapters) for it. Here is the link:

http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital_frame.html

Good luck with the Horseman, you'll love it!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back