Who has seen ...

What about gun shows? I don't remember when they closed that loophole.

We don't have a waiting period here in AZ but background checks are done even at gun shows. Only takes about 5-10 minutes.

I try so hard to stay away from these threads because they always have American people defending guns in them and that just makes my blood boil.

The thread the other day where voods said his window smashed...someone just matter of factly said "did you check for bullets?"
That wouldn't even enter people's heads here in Australia.

Sure its society, its people, but it is also guns.

The reason a gun is made is to kill.

manda said:
I try so hard to stay away from these threads because they always have American people defending guns in them and that just makes my blood boil.
The reason a gun is made is to kill.

Why does it "make your blood boil"? Could it be that you can't stand someone disagreeing with what you know is a a purely emotional viewpoint?
A gun is indeed made for killing but it can also be used for many other things, it all comes down to the person who has it as to what it's used for.

lets look at it this way.

mechanically speaking, the gun was used to nourish families by using it to hunt. sure thats killing, but its acceptable. now, flash forward a couple hundred years....

would we rather be under the regime of nazi dictatorship? or southern oppression and tyranny? those guns have preserved our way of life.

its tough because i agree with manda, but i also value the things i own and the freedoms i have.

i think this thread is gonna get emotional if we dont watch out...

md

I can understand Manda feeling that way ..... its a frustrating and , like you said MrSid , emotional topic. Its not the difference on opinions so much as its just the issue at hand.
Yes there are people who will use guns for things such as hunting for food etc .... and they would never entertain using their gun for anything else.
Compared to the people that will use them for harm/illegal purposes...they are unfortunately , the minority.
The reason why I posted this was because I was thinking about the state we are in , where , even kids grab a gun , take it to school and just shoot their classmates without seeing anything wrong with it or even raising a sweat. I see a new generation emerging that are becoming more fearful of the future yet desensitized to violence........
Combine this with the reasonably easy accessibility to guns ( and other weapons ) .... ... :shock:
Columbine hasnt happened yet in Australia ( Knock on wood ! ) but I think of my nephews going to school in a few years time .... damn the most me and my generation had to put up with at school was someone bullyin ya a little or punchin each other etc ..... will it be that kids soon will have to worry about another kid goin home , grabbin their daddy's gun and comin to school and blowin them away ? Its goin down that path kiddos .....
Ok I'm depressin myself here damn lol.
I just think its worth thinkin about......

i'm still thinkin, but i had to weigh in again with a request:

please, if you're gonna post a response in this thread, do not stoop to making it a personal attack. please allow everyone to state his or her opinion, whether it agrees with yours or not. we can do this, and i think we need to do this. we are a microcosm of the world, let's see if we can have a discussion that even if it bears no fruit, at least it let it bear no poison, either. whether one is ready to accept it or not, we are all in this together. let us proceed intelligently, but mostly let us proceed with respect for one and with respect for all.

Luminosity said:
The reason why I posted this was because I was thinking about the state we are in , where , even kids grab a gun , take it to school and just shoot their classmates without seeing anything wrong with it or even raising a sweat.

Interesting point raised here....in the major cases such as Columbine where kids attempted and actually did kill classmates the individuals that perpetrated the crimes knew it was wrong but reportedly they felt they had nothing left to lose and wanted some payback or to make a statement.
Doesn't seem to fit in with the de-sensitising theory.

I agree Tobes...I was starting to think I should've stayed away from the topic lol...
I was doing some further reading and realised I stuffed up on the numbers in my first post.. Moore quoted U.S's number as 11, 127 shooting deaths.I know I seem to be contradicting myself , but those numbers cant be taken as reliable.
I think its important to realize that , even Moores 'shock-u-mentry' should be taken with a huge grain of salt .... but if it gets people thinking about an issue...
MrSid , I know what you're sayin re. the columbine shooters as KNOWING they did wrong ( I realized I worded some things the wrong way ) and were 'making a statement' so they turned to a gun to make it....
A drug addict's system , over time , develops a 'desensitization' to the drug , so the addict has to increase the drug intake/dosage to feel an effect...
Same with SOME ppl , kids in particular , and violence.Its not enough to just hit someone now ...but shootin em 'makes a statement '.
Man , my mum wanted to make a statement too when she was a teenager ... so she made a placard and marched in peace protests lol.
The HIPPIE ! :afro:

mrsid99 said:
Why does it "make your blood boil"? Could it be that you can't stand someone disagreeing with what you know is a a purely emotional viewpoint?
A gun is indeed made for killing but it can also be used for many other things, it all comes down to the person who has it as to what it's used for.

Its got nothing to do with anyone disagreeing. Its living in a world where thousands of people are murdered every year and then to have intelligent people turn around and defend the inanimate things that were used to do so.

Tobes, I dont think anyone has made a personal attack.
Mr Sid and I always lock horns on this issue.

Manda, you can't put the genie back into the bottle.

Tobes, I dont think anyone has made a personal attack.
Mr Sid and I always lock horns on this issue.

nope, no one has made a personal attack, not yet anyway. i'm saying i would like to see it stay that way. i think it is absolutely healthy for two people who are polarized on a particular issue, such as you and mr. sid, to have an open and provacative conversation. all too often, however, these threads deteriorate into mudslinging. i find this topic very interesting, and would love to see it stay an intellectual discourse.
:D 8)

Mrsid, thats not a strong argument.
In other words, guns are here and here to stay, and nothing can be done to make the situation better?
Come on.

Yes Toby, I'd like to know what else their purpose is.
Remember we are talking about guns in the hands of citizens here.

I saw that bowling for columbine movie. I watched it like this :shock:. It was really insightful I thought. I went to Australia about 8 years ago and that was the first time I had ever seen Police Officers actually PULL OUT their guns. Then when I moved here I heard what I thought were firecrackers and was more than suprised to hear that it was actually gunfire. Im not sure what American can do to deal with this dilema but it was real food for thought.
And you guys cant tell me you didnt laugh at that Cartoon about the guns :lol:
Im hoping to be able to see Fareinheit 9/11 whenever it comes out

Most reactions

Back