Who has seen ...

Because they were aware that one day every shoemaker, cobbler, breadmaker, and carpenter would have to take up arms to defend the very soil on which they live.

i think you're right on this one. my next question would be- what threat did the founding father's envision? the english? the spanish? the native americans?

What can I say about a gun.....

Guns are illegal in Holland, unless you're a cop or are a member of a shooting range.

I don't think you need a gun to protect your family. Hardly anyone in Holland has a gun and they all go to bed feeling safe.

In a land where guns are available at almost every corner, then of course small time burglars will have a gun and therefor it's useful to have a gun to "protect" yourself.

I have to admit, a DE.50 looks cool, but it's purpose is crap.

I'm sure that if guns were legal in Holland we'd have more gun victims here. Maybe America should follow our example, smoke weed, ban guns.

Dandy-Warhol said:
Maybe America should follow our example, smoke weed, ban guns.

Bwahaha
That is one of the funniest things Ive read in ages.

Yes, and I totally agree with the other points you made. Nobody in Australia needs to protect themselves with a gun. Even when our gun laws werent as strict as they are now, nobody had a gun in their house to protect themselves.
We have had the Colombine type shooting sprees here. We had one in the suburb I went to high school about 10 yrs ago. Luckily it wasnt a school day and all the kids that would have been in the exact place(including me) werent there.
We then had another major shooting in Tasmania.
That was enough to bring in extremely tight gun laws.

Some Police in our states don't even carry guns.

Yeah!
Bow and arrow!
All that LOTR style fighting is all the rage at the mo.
Law enforcement officers could move pretty swiftly with a bow and arrow methinks!

"Stop! Or I'll Draw!"

i did not know that.
dont call them skirts or you might get an arrow in your back!

the scots are insane. :D

In the original post in this thread, Luminocity said something about not walking at night in New York, or New Orleans. I live in an EXTREMELY small town (pop. 1000) in the midwest, and I don't walk at night alone! That due to an incident I had two summers ago with a pervert who thought he'd walk up to me and 'show me what he's got'. :puke-rig: Thankfully, that's all that happened. So...I no longer feel safe ANYWHERE. Not even my teeny-weeny home town.

manda said:
The facts are that people die because of guns, and people will continue to die because of guns.

Patently false, no gun has ever of its own volition just upped and killed someone.

Luminosity said:
Yes there are people who will use guns for things such as hunting for food etc .... and they would never entertain using their gun for anything else.

Why are there people who WOULD think of using them for something else? That is the heart of the problem.

When I was a freshman in High School (obviously a long time ago) I would bring my Winchester 62 and a brick of 22 calibre (1000 rounds) of ammo to school with me on fridays. Put it in my locker and after school we'd go down to the basement of the gym for rifle club. None of us would ever have thought about shooting up the school. Today I would be arrested and ostricised from the community as a nut.

There are a host of reasons but the violence is a symptom, whether it is gun, knife, baseball bat, brick, car, (pick anything) that is used it is not the weapon it'self. Why do some people feel the need to resort to the violence? Personally I would argue that it is the disinigration of the core family structure along with the desensitisation (sp?) of kids to violence through modern media.

What other reasons do you folks see as the root cause? I personally feel focusing on the weapon (whatever it is) obscures the real issue.

Most reactions

Back