Who is using a Sony A77 and or A99?

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering who is shooting with a sony A77 or A99. I tested out an A77 yesterday at the camera shop with the 2.8 kit lens and I was really impressed. But, its hard to tell what the cameras can really do just messing around at the shop and not in real world use.

So I ask this question in hopes that I can here pros and cons and what you shoot. I like to shoot HDR sometimes I need to do handheld where the A77 seems it would be nice because of the speed, even the A99 is quick. I had a gripped D700 that was shooting 8FPS and I could do handheld shots in the night 3 exposures. With HDR I will shoot Landscapes/CityScapes, Scenery, Interior and almost anything in between.

I also like to take portraits of the kids..not so much into sports because when I had the D700 and 70-200 2.8 VII I seem to miss a lot of the actual games because I was behind the lens and we would never really print any of the photos so I stopped doing that and started recording with our canon HD camera. I would like to do some off camera flash/strobing.

I have been using the A7 for a few weeks and although it is a very nice camera I am not sure if this is the best camera for me at this time. I am up in the air. I really love all the features and image quality is great. I am just disappointed in the
battery life and lenses available. Yes I know I can use other brands with adapters but then that take away many if not most of the features in the camera that makes it such a joy to shoot. Plus sony lenses seem to be pricey for what they are IMO.

I know the A77 is an older camera but, does not mean its outdated just yet. The A99 I only held and did not use but seems like it would be best of both worlds of the A7 and A99. I understand that the what also makes the A7 so popular is the size however I am torn, because it is so light and petite that it feels like it will break very easy or if I have to be extra careful. I like the bulkiness of the A77 and A99 while holding them I remembered why I wanted to get out of the huge FF cameras..heavy cameras…there is a tradeoff for the weight and its the rigidness..

anyways I can go on and on but I wanted to see if anyone here would like to chime in with your personal hands on experience.

Thanks!

Cheers

I shoot with an A77, I like it a lot. Does everything I want it to. Ive never owned any other bramd so I cant comment on comparing it to anything else. Sony lenses are a little expensive, I use the Sony 2.8 16-50, have no complaints. Third party lenses will save you a lot of money though, Sigma and Tamron have produced some outstanding lenses that take the place of the big price of Sony.

Yeah I hear that sigma is making very good glass.

How is the noise in low light? From my readings, I find a lot of info how the A77 does not do a good job in this department especially after iso 800.

Its hard to believe that gibberish because many people said that the kit lens that comes with the A7 is soft and not sharp, but I have pictures to prove different..I try to do as much testing as I can when and like to hear what actual people who
use A77 or A99 than those that just ramble about it when they have not even shot with one of them or even.

That 2.8 16-50 lens is very nice, thats the lens I tested it with at the shop and I must say that it felt like a tank on that A77 and a constant aperture, I don't really see this as a kit lens.

Have you noticed that the A77 is a half to whole stop slower because of the translucent mirror? There was a review that show pictures with out a lens on the camera taking pictures of a background. One was with the mirror down in front of the sensor and the other was locked up exposing the sensor. The one with the mirror was down produced a darker image. In that video it said that it made that 2.8 lens more like a 3.8 lens on that camera. Any thoughts on that?

Changing to a different Sony body won't help for lens availability. It might not rain lenses, but hey are still out there. Personally, I don't see this as a problem.

Third party lenses are also available. Sigma, Tamron. You will find a lens that works for you.

I shoot with a a65, internally the twin of the a77. Noise is present at higher ISO. But it's not a problem IMO. Worst case, fix it in post.

I wouldn't want to experience the down grade to a APS-C sensor tho.

Battery life isn't really a problem either. I can't imagine anybody expecting to spend a day out on a single battery. You need a backup anyway. Carry one or two extra. Or get the vertical grip.

Anyway the a77 is a good camera. I would stick with the a7.

I like my A77. It is quieter and with less vibration that a regular DSLR. HD Video is quite smooth with good sound. Dynamic range control, multi-shot HDR, Multi-shot noise reduction and panorama are all in camera, along with tone, colour and various picture and scene modes including selective colour. Built in flash and external flash may take a little getting used to, since your camera ISO has to be set at its lowest 50 for photos such as opening presents for example.

The viewfinder is what you see is what you get in real time, so you need to pay attention to more than just composition and framing when you are using it. The setting display in the viewfinder is also a great way to make a last check before pressing the shutter.

12 frames per second is great for action shooting and you can adjust for less.

As far as noise is concerned, I have found that all cameras show some amount of image deterioration at ISO 1600 and there is not a great deal of difference between them.

I love my A77 and glad i upgraded to it from the A55.

I also don't have a problem battery wise although I recently bought a second one to be safe, especially as I will be in Fiji shortly and plan on full day adventures and I also want to be prepared this year if I can get some event photog jobs :)

As for noise I haven't really tested it due to shooting mostly macro and on days out. On the next new moon I am planning to go test some astrophotography (weather permitting)

Personally I love the 16-50 2.8 and so glad I decided to jump and get it, I do feel the zoo ring is a little tight so may need to get it looked at but marries perfect with A77.

I haven't used an A99 or A7 so can't comment on either however my next upgrade in a year or two will be that or the next FF Alpha.

The A77 I have had for 6 months now and haven't played with too many of the in camera modes and the few instances I did HDR it was done manually and on a tripod.

I would go a99 over a77. A77 is good but the sensor is a bit of overkill for what the processor can actually handle. A99 is on point. Great ISO capabilities. A7 is nice cause you can get the adaptors to run any type of lense on it.

Yeah, No doubt in my mind that the A99 would be the top choice between the A77 or A99, I think the A99 is closer to what the A7 is just bigger with more lens choice.

The A77 at the price is a great camera, great features.

I just did some HDR work last night of Tucson City Lights and I was pretty impressed with the results. But I also did some HDR work in the day and was not so happy, but I learned that I did not have my Esposure wheel at 0 so the camera did something funky.

-3,-1, +1..there was not enough DR and made the images a bit noisy and grainy in the dark areas…BOy that sucks because I spent a good while shooting, but now I know it was not the IQ just the lack of correct EXP.

I owned the a77 before upgrading to the a99. They are almost identical in terms of features, design and functions. But after shooting the a99 for the past year the image quality difference is really apparent above 800 ISO. I knew it'd be better but how much better was really a pleasant surprise for me. It's not just the noise control it's how well tonal and dynamic range is maintained at higher ISO. You'll also notice a difference/improvement in the image quality you get from the EVF. I know it's the same EVF but because the image is coming from a larger sensor on the a99, I almost never see the static/noise I did with the a77 when shooting in low light.

I bought a77 last year. Was upgrading from a450 so am obviously over the moon.

One guy I follow on YouTube is called Rodney. He made a video that looks at the a77 and a99. Won't repeat all he said

In short the difference between the two does not justify the price difference.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using PhotoForum

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give you a heads up, the successor to the A77 is soon to be announced. Might want to hold off some.. Or reep the benefit of decreased a77 price :)

I'm at work, so did not read all of the thread, might want to check http://www.sonyalpharumors.com for some good sony alpha info.
Read up on the successor, if I remember it's supposed to be mirror less a-mount.

I had an A77, and loved everything about it... Except low light performance. Just upgraded to the nikon D610 and here is what I see...

I miss peaking M focus ( u have that in A7) nothing like that on D610.

Auto focus system on A77 is actually really good. Live view or EVF.

I got really used to the controls... Once you learn them well, easy cam to use.

Decent dynamic range, good color, happy with the images at LOW ISO ( 400 or less ) I'm picky lol

The A77 served me well, if I could have the D610 sensor in it, I would NEVER need another camera. Honestly. I really like how the A77 functions.

Oh yea, one other little thing... The buffer is not that great. But, never really sit there and shoot off more then 12 shots in a row... At least I don't.

I can upload some shots I got with the A77 if you would like?

Just took a look on the site, not so around the corner... Announcement is some time around April, release is in June.

Yeah upload some shots.

I keep debating what camera to stay with. I have been using the D610 and I am right at home with it since I have always shot nikon. But the A7 has so many features that I can really take advantage of and saw many of those same features in the A77 and A99.

The A7 is really great BUT, the lens options, this is a problem. Having to buy adapters to use other lenses is good but it will get expensive AND you lose many of the features that draws someone like me into the A7.

FF lenses are expensive and I keep telling my self that but at the same time Sony seems to be a lot more expensive for the same lens. Not to mention battery life, man I wish they could have figured out to have a longer lasting battery. By the time you buy the grip and extra battery and charger you just spend another $500 on top of the camera and still won't have the equal amount of photos you can take like a D610.

Anywho…..upload some pictures if you can.

The turbine one, was a 3 shot/ 3 ev shift processed in photomatix

Everything processed in LR5

Attachments

• $image-2889155659.jpg
    $image-2889155659.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 351
  • $image-1572723885.jpg
    $image-1572723885.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 296
  • $image-4175412957.jpg
    $image-4175412957.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 339