Who will by the Nikon Z9?

I have just recently purchased my Z6 and I am really enjoying using it. I think that is more than enough camera for me and what I use it for. I am focused now on being able to buy some nice glass. If you are a pro, have deep pockets or must have the latest then go for it I say.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

To start with, I am an amateur, my knowledge is little, but I've been reading a lot about cameras as of late. Couldn't imagine that more than 0.1% of people really would benefit from this, over say a D500.

I have had several dSLR's and currently own a Nikon D850. I have also had several mirrorless, including a Sony D8, Sony A600, and now a Nikon Z50. The biggest difference is how you view the picture you are taking. With a dSLR you are looking directly through the lens at its' widest aperture. You can stop it down with the PV button but that also darkens the image making it harder to really tell what is and is not in focus. With a mirrorless when looking through the viewfinder you are looking at a miniature video screen. The image on the screen is coming from the lens AT THE SHOOTING APERTURE. You are looking at what will be in focus in your finished picture. I look at this as a big advantage over a dSLR. The other difference is that the image stays at the same brightness (to a point) no matter how dark the room may get, assuming you are not in total manual exposure mode. Then the viewed image will represent over, under, and proper exposure depending on how you have your SS, AP, and ISO. These are only 2 examples of what a EVF (electronic viewfinder) can do over an OVF (optical view finder).

I have had several dSLR's and currently own a Nikon D850. I have also had several mirrorless, including a Sony D8, Sony A600, and now a Nikon Z50. The biggest difference is how you view the picture you are taking. With a dSLR you are looking directly through the lens at its' widest aperture. You can stop it down with the PV button but that also darkens the image making it harder to really tell what is and is not in focus. With a mirrorless when looking through the viewfinder you are looking at a miniature video screen. The image on the screen is coming from the lens AT THE SHOOTING APERTURE. You are looking at what will be in focus in your finished picture. I look at this as a big advantage over a dSLR. The other difference is that the image stays at the same brightness (to a point) no matter how dark the room may get, assuming you are not in total manual exposure mode. Then the viewed image will represent over, under, and proper exposure depending on how you have your SS, AP, and ISO. These are only 2 examples of what a EVF (electronic viewfinder) can do over an OVF (optical view finder).

Love my DSLR's; can't afford mirrorless (even if I could, I'd stick with my DSLR's too much tied up in glass and various equipment).
Here's the shocker---I agree with you---mostly!!

Love my DSLR's; can't afford mirrorless (even if I could, I'd stick with my DSLR's too much tied up in glass and various equipment).
Here's the shocker---I agree with you---mostly!!
Every generation of mirrorless will get even better. If the improvements go with video, I'll stay with my D850 but, if the improvements go with still I may have to take the plunge. My biggest decision will be to stay with Nikon or go with Sony.

for me what matters is money .. I have several "expensive hobbies", I can't afford mirrorless with new set of lens .. I started seriously with photography at the beginning of Covid crisis, before I will earn a merit with the gear that I already have I don't feel that I've qualified for better gear .. everybody who is tempted by acquiring new gear should check this video:

anyhow, my other hobbies are playing on guitars so in my TO-BUY list is already stuff worth $10k (at least, keeping the level of humbleness required), other hobby is riding a bicycle with further spending plan ~$5k and the most important hobby is my family, which requires the most :D (literally they require everything else)

for me what matters is money .. I have several "expensive hobbies", I can't afford mirrorless with new set of lens .. I started seriously with photography at the beginning of Covid crisis, before I will earn a merit with the gear that I already have I don't feel that I've qualified for better gear .. everybody who is tempted by acquiring new gear should check this video:

anyhow, my other hobbies are playing on guitars so in my TO-BUY list is already stuff worth $10k (at least, keeping the level of humbleness required), other hobby is riding a bicycle with further spending plan ~$5k and the most important hobby is my family, which requires the most :D (literally they require everything else)

Several expensive hobbies, you sound like me. I rotate.

The major camera companies release new models just before the Olympics and this is Nikon's entry. Maybe I'll buy one after the independent reviews are out, but at the rumored $6 to $7k, it would really have to be THE best camera ever made in it's class. Then there's the cost of new Z glass. What I'm really watching for is the announcement for next generation D850 and D500 as I have a lot more money in Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron dslr glass than I do in 4 Nikon dslr bodies.
I can't afford to go mirrorless and buy all new glass.
I'm quite happy with my D750 and D850.

I have just recently purchased my Z6 and I am really enjoying using it. I think that is more than enough camera for me and what I use it for. I am focused now on being able to buy some nice glass. If you are a pro, have deep pockets or must have the latest then go for it I say.

I also just ordered the Z6, it comes tomorrow! I had been wanting a D750, then decided on mirrorless and strongly considered switching to Sony or Canon as I only have a few AF Z-compatible Nikon F lenses.... honestly, I love Canon's lens direction and 3rd party options with Sony.

But I'd be looking at the A7iii for $2000 or the Canon R for $1440 refurb, and I found the Z6 from B&H is refurb for $1800 with 24-70 f/4 ($1300 body only). Plus I can use my old F mount lenses (with adapter), batteries, and flashes. I've used a D7000 for the last 9 years (which I'll keep as a 2nd body) and I expect I'll probably use the Z9 for the next 9 years lol. And they just came out with a new firmware for the Z6, which looks like they keep improving their AF system, and its impressive that they are still improving a 3+ year old camera :D

Several expensive hobbies, you sound like me. I rotate.

Yep, same here. Mine are photography, music/guitars/piano, aquariums, and just last year I got into astronomy :) I'm not into cars, so the money I save on an expensive car covers all my other hobbies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back