WHOA! I get to use some EXSPENSIVE equipment this year!

NoSoup4U

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a sixth year senior at Texas A&M studying visualization in the college of architecture.

Well, since I am a 6th year (ya i know, tell me about it) I get to take some pretty lenient project based classes. This semester I am taking B&W photography as an independent study... which pretty much means I get to do what I want for a semester and I get to put on an exhibit in the college's gallery at the end of the this Fall semester. I'll need about 20-30 really good B&W photographs. My focus, as of now, is studio abstract photography; lighting; contrast; non-identifiable. I may not stick with this focus considering how the first couple weeks will go.

ANYWAY!!!!

My prof has been a professional photographer for some years... probably over 20, he is allowing me to use his library of cameras... 8 x 10's... 120 mm cameras, twin reflex cameras. he has some super awesome telephotos for nikon cameras. 300 mm 1.8 f/stop! WHOA! and then ones even larger (but I probsbly wont use) that are even longer zooms and same speed (or close).

IM JUST EXCITED AND I THOUGHT ID SHARE! I will be posting photographs of my work this semester to get critiques and feedback... please help out if you notice and can.

Whoop! Aggie Class of 97...

What an awsome assignment. Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

BTW.. Don't worry about being in your 6th year. Your life, your pace. Just as long as you feel its been a productive 6 years. I didn't totally complete my degree unyil 99 as I worked full time ever other semester in Dallas. No biggie... work experience and graduating without debt or loans was all worth it.

u really have to try 8x10 , the sharpness and details is unbeleivable.

NoSoup4U said:
I get to take some pretty lenient project based classes. This semester I am taking B&W photography as an independent study... which pretty much means I get to do what I want for a semester and I get to put on an exhibit in the college's gallery at the end of the this Fall semester. I'll need about 20-30 really good B&W photographs.

Have fun, but don't get caught up in playing with all the new gear. Try some stuff out, then pick the gear you're going to use, and quickly get down to business. 20 - 30 good photographs is a lot to crank out in a few months, and it's easy to lose track of time when you have a bunch of fun, new toys. :)

Just as I was discovering 4x5, a whole bunch of different kinds of film cameras (from 16mm up to 8x10) fell into my lap, and I was excitedly using them all, and my work/projects/goals were changing every week. One of my early mentors said to me that "I had discovered the 124 color box of crayons, but what I really needed to do was master the 8 color box." It was good advice.

Most reactions

Back