Who's got the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and does it get you off?

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone addicted to this lens??? Might be my last DX

I have that lens, I think the focus is off a bit, so I find that it's hard to get sharp shots wide open...but that could also be the very shallow DOF...probably a little of both.

When the shots are in focus, they are sharp, crisp and fantastic.

thanks mike....

is the focus off at say f5?

Well, if the focus is off, it's off...it's just a matter of whether the DOF will be deep enough to compensate for it...and that depends on how far away you are etc.

I don't think I'd have any problems at F5.

I've used it but it's focus wide open is nothing to get off on which is a shame. Actually the image quality at f/1.4 is the only thing that prevented me from buying it at all.

ho hum.... two quirks about the lens from two senior members...

guess i won't be buying that one...

Well, I'm going to write here more or less what I wrote couple years back in Amazon as review for this lens and people didn't like to hear (for some reason, rave reviews usually get better ratings by other readers than heavily criticizing ones, but that's a topic for other forums) ...

I bought one just before I went on a trip to Canada, the lens was a HUGE disappointment (pun intended).

I already had a Nikkor 35mm f/2, and really wanted the wider f stop for better low available light photography, therefore I bought one.

I shot ~40 photos in a dim basilica, about half the photos with the 30mm f/1.4 lens and half with another Sigma lens: the 10-20mm wide zoom (all on a Nikon D70 body, which I love), Almost all photos taken with the 30mm came out out of focus, almost all photos taken with the wide zoom came out nice and sharp.

Already discussed this on other forums and folks suggested that large aparture lenses are prone to focus errors while wide open. Well... ins't the whole point of this sigma lens the larger aparture!? the Nikkor 35mm f/2 costs about the same, weighs half, is half the size, and far better optically at apertures 2.0 or higher, whats the point of getting the Sigma if it isn't the f<2.0 numbers? Right, it has an internal focusing motor which the Nikkor does not have. A plus for D40 owners.

I admit I never got to the bottom if this, my feeling had always been that I just received a defective unit, and, since by the time I discovered this I was far away from the store, I never had the time and patience to ask and arrange for a replacement. On the other hand if you google for reviewes on this lens carefully, I believe you'll find I am not the only one to complian about focusing problems.

Two years after, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 collects dust in the cupboard, the Sigma 10-20mm, Nikkor 35mm f/2.0, and the Nikkor 18-70mm (the original Kit lens) are always with me.

For me, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was one of those "great on paper but mediocre in real life" products.

Last edited:
I've gotten some pretty nice sharpness at f/1.6. It's really a fantastic lens, in my opinion.

I've got some great shots out of this lens as well...I was actually blown away by the sharpness it can produce...but the focus inconsistency has been enough for me to keep it at home on most paying gigs.

I've considered sending it in for calibration, but have be hesitant because Sigma service in Canada is handled by some other company and I think it's at least $100, just for them to look at it.

hmm..I was really looking forward to this lens. Now I'm not so sure. Although from the reviews on "thedigitalpicture.com" the sigma was said to be "in a class of its own" Also I was looking at the canon 28mm 1.8 and its supposed to produce a lot of CA and flare and its a bit slower, but the up side is that it is a full frame lens....crap now I just don't know.

Hey Mike, shouldn't you focusing issue be covered under sigma's 4 year warranty? or is your lens under warranty?

Oh, could be different in Canada, especially because sigma outsources its service.

Last edited:
I bought the lens used, but I might still have the warranty card...I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that Sigma doesn't have an actual facility in Canada and use a third party for their Canadian service...and I've heard a few 'not so good' things about that third party.

From what I've seen & read, I would say that the Sigma is certainly in a class above the Canon 28mm F1.8. That has never really been a top rated prime lens. The more common comparison is with the Canon 35mm F1.4 L...which is one of the best prime lenses for this format of camera...but it's probably $1000 more than the Sigma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back