UrFavSigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Camera: Nikon D3000
Lens: 18-55 and 55-200
Flash: Sigma

Ok I have only been shooting for about 2 months so excuse this question if it is very noobish. I was trying to work on my action shots at a basketball game. I was shooting in Shutter Priority with my external flash. For some reason my flash is dealyed. It flashes like a second later than what I want. When I take the external flash off and use the camera's flash it's still dealyed a little but not as much as with the external. When I use no flash it's right on time. How do I correct this issue?

Double check your flash setting , on most bodies there is a button with a flash on it and when you press it you will see your flash setting on the camera controls top lcd.
Make sure it is set on just the flash symbol , not the eye, REAR, etc. because one of those other settings may delay the flash.
‪Nikon D3000: Choosing a Flash Mode‬‏ - YouTube
-
shoot well, Joe

You need to buy a book on flash photography. If it's set to "REAR" (which I'm guessing it is....then the flash will fire along with the rear curtain. There's lots of cool effects you can create, but for a normal shot...its no good.

What flash settings are you currently using?

Bitter Jeweler said:
I thought rear curtain flash was ideal for action shots.

At faster speeds you won't really notice a difference, but at speeds below say...1/15th a sec, you def will. By freezing the action at the very end of the exposure, you will get the movement from before the flash AND the frozen frame from the flash. That's why it's used mainly for cool effects in dark rooms.

It can be used for sports just fine because your SS is so fast, it isn't noticeable that it's flashing the same time as the rear curtain closes.

Front curtain sync renders motion blur preceeding the direction of the motion, because the flash fires as soon as the front curtain is fully open. The short duration of the flash of light 'stops' the motion at that point in time, and with enough ambient light motion blur can be recorded during the remaing time the shutter is open.

With rear curtain sync the front curtain opens motion blur is recorded from the ambient light, and the flash fires in the last instant before the rear curtain closes to end the exposure.

The OP doesn't provide enough information about the gear used (which Sigma flash unit) or the camera settings used.

Rear curtain sync is recommended for most strobed light photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back