Why are photographers treated with distrust?

If you need to print out a document to show to people explaining your rights as a photographer, I'd strongly suggest you work on your people skills a bit :er:

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea to photograph kids in a playground.
While I agree that taking shots of a child that isnt yours or, related to you. The rampant paranoia in post 9/11 society sickens me. What I saw 9/11 as is a wake up call and the US catching up with the rest of the world. Face it the rest of the globe has been experiencing terror attacks for decades before we got hit and, US citizens saw it as their problem. Well now that they got the wake up call they are over reacting.

Well now that they got the wake up call they are over reacting.

The people are not over-reacting - the government is seeing it as an opportunity to seize more power, and the people are just standing there watching. Sorry if that's too political...

(the people are not reacting enough to the abuse of power)

Last edited:
I did a Stanley Park trip the other day too(Vancouver) and took pictures. I just took pictures of people, didn't care what they thought. Mind you that was the first time. To be honest, I just smiled and nodded.

IMO, some are insecured so they dont wanna get their pictures taken. Some are conceited and think they're soo good and that you're probably taking pictures of them for perverted reasons.

I've had a couple of people actually smile at the camera and said hi.

The people are not over-reacting - the government is seeing it as an opportunity to seize more power, and the people are just standing there watching. Sorry if that's too political...

(the people are not reacting enough to the abuse of power)
Actually they are because they have allowed the government to take rights for a false sense of security. Had a majority of the people wrote their congressmen prior to the Patriot Act vote opposing it, it would not have passed. But instead all I was hearing from sheeple was how the government needed to protect them even if it meant losing a little privacy or, rights. It sickened me then as it does now when I hear it.

I could not give a f--k what people think when I shoot. You only live once and you have to make your way. Let anyone get in mine.

The only thing I have avoided taking is kids, unless I have been seen taking photos for a while before I cant be doing with the whole explination, I like the buissness card idea, I think I may steal that.

Apart from pics of kids most people are just curious and interested I find.... Except airport security -_- I made my last flight by about 20 secs because of bloody security in Paris forcing me up unpack every single item -_-

I've gotta get me that T-shirt that reads:

I am a Photographer
(not a terrorist!)

:lol: :lol:

we need a TFP offical one of those Jerry ;)

People are worried that taking their photo will steal a part of their soul. At least the ones that worry about it. ;)

It doesn't? Damn. Here I've been trying to zap my wife's soul as much as she has mine...

(I kid! Hi honey, ow... ow... ow... ack)

The equipment youre using can make a big difference...

I've noticed that when I'm shooting one of these, people think I must be some sort of terrorist or pedophile, and sometimes even call the cops:

DCP_9153_B.jpg
main.php

HOWEVER, when I'm shooting one of these I'm considered an "artist" and people get out of my way and are very polite, and pretty girls sometimes offer to pose nude--go figure:

speed-graphic-sm.jpg

Last edited:
I got stopped this weekend by the security guy at the building I was taking pictures at. I did the usual thing I always do... big smile, "Hey, how you doing?", simple explanation that I'm taking pictures for the real estate firm that is working with the building owner, give 'em a card, make a joke about something or another, and all is well.

Works nearly every time. You have to be fairly confident in your delivery, though.

My joke this week (since I had my daughter) was to point to her and go "Just Daddy/Daughter career day... on a Sunday". That got a good laugh. A few weeks back I handed him my card and said, "I'm seriously not a terrorist, but you can call my wife and ask her. She'll be happy to tell you I'm way too stupid to be qualified for terrorism." :lol:

BTW, I DON'T recommend terrorism jokes. :lol: I was feeling cocky that day and was pretty much done with my work so I did it. hehehe... baaaaaaaaad idea. Not nearly as bad as making jokes about grenades in a an airport security line, but bad.

(Yes, I was actually in an airport security line when someone started making jokes about grenades. I looked the dude and said, "Hey, are you REALLY that stupid?!?!" and then pointed up to two levels above where there were three TSA guys with those telescoping microphones pointed at the security lines) (This was Denver) Idiot. :lol: What were we talking about again? :lol:

The equipment youre using can make a big difference...

I've noticed that when I'm shooting one of these, people think I must be some sort of terrorist or pedophile, and sometimes even call the cops:

And I worked out why!!

ll.jpg

And I worked out why!!

ll.jpg

I'm literally laughing so hard people are stopping by my office door to see what the heck my problem is. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Most reactions

Back