Why are we fighting so hard to impress each other?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm probably going to get blasted for what I am about to say... but oh well.

Why do people put so much emphasis on impressing fellow photographers when it doesn't seem to be a requirment in the actual world? I've been spending a lot of time observing magazines, calenders, posters for clothing in lines in malls and it seems no one else in the world really cares about all of the boundaries we have set for ourselves here. I'm not talking about exposure, focus, weight balance which are technical issues. I'm talking about all of the subjective areas like. One in particular nitpick I see a lot is "distracting" background. I've been looking through a lot of resources as I mentioned earlier, and they have a lot of so-called "distracting" elements scattered all through the background.

I've been seeing people say on here "Just because it makes money and general people will like it, doesn't mean it's good or other photographers will like it." Soooo it doesn't matter if it's reaching a lot of people or you're making money, the important thing is that the, maybe, 40 people on here don't approve? It's like "pssh, forget all of the people making money and the people who like you're work, it's only a real work if it's validated by the people on this site, these are the ones who REALLY matter."

Again, I understand correcting technical errors such focus, exposure, weight balance etc. I have been a sketch artist for a long time now, so I understand the importance of improving on a technical level, but everything else just seems like they're setting imaginary boundaries that don't actually exist in the real world. Isn't it more important to reach people in your community rather then the people on here?

If you like your work, other people like it and it could possibly make money who gives a **** what strangers on the internet have to say?

Who is trying to impress anyone around here? I think most people who are posting for cc are trying to learn something, not impress anyone.

When you boil it all down it is the individual images that stand on their own merit....not whether the images follow the "rules".

Isn't it more important to reach people in your community rather then the people on here?

ANSWER #1

No

What is important is learning the best way to do things, to understand perfection and at least know how to reach for it.
If you or someone else must make do with less than the best later on for other reasons, that's a different issue.

Last edited:
After thought: you posts for cc were only to impress someone? The cc you got didn't help you to grow at all and your images before were so great. After all, you liked them, right? Then they're good enough and you don't need us!

:er:

Photography is a form of communication, so subjective elements do matter.

:er:

Photography is a form of communication, so subjective elements do matter.

Photography is a form of visual communication with a language that should be learned.

Are you responding to the guy who self-promoted his blog post? Yeah, I know what you mean.

Art seems to mostly be about impressing the next person. Why do you think that photographers are always like "dude look at the shot I just got." That happens to me ALL THE TIME when I'm shooting sports. There's even one guy who wears headphones and won't talk to you unless you obviously have the photographic qualifications to demand his attention. Regardless of how other members try to play it down, a lot of people are secretly pretentious, I believe. That's why there's always so much drama on here. People come in, they wants oohs and aaahs about their photos, they don't get them, then they get defensive and leave. I think it's because photography is soooooo much more subjective than many other areas, and that causes people to be insecure about their abilities.

It is superiority under a façade of humbleness and self-deprecation. Those are just my observations. Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.

That being said, there are several, several, photographers who aren't like that, and I appreciate them for it.

You really need to read through the post. I didn't say there is NO point in learning. I even said there are elements that you NEED to listen to criticisms. I specified I am merely taking about the subjective elements. I never one said CC is useless.More of what I'm saying is how much should we take in on the SUBJECTIVE side of things.

Are you responding to the guy who self-promoted his blog post? Yeah, I know what you mean. Art seems to mostly be about impressing the next person. Why do you think that photographers are always like "dude look at the shot I just got." That happens to me ALL THE TIME when I'm shooting sports. There's even one guy who wears headphones and won't talk to you unless you obviously have the photographic qualifications to demand his attention. Regardless of how other members try to play it down, a lot of people are secretly pretentious, I believe. That's why there's always so much drama on here. People come in, they wants oohs and aaahs about their photos, they don't get them, then they get defensive and leave. I think it's because photography is soooooo much more subjective than many other areas, and that causes people to be insecure about their abilities.It is superiority under a façade of humbleness and self-deprecation. Those are just my observations. Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.That being said, there are several, several, photographers who aren't like that, and I appreciate them for it.
Well said.

Most reactions

Back