Why aren't all lenses macro?

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to understand what the physical limitation is that prevents all lenses from focusing down to produce 1:1 images on the sensor. Optically, what internal changes are necessary?

It is the minimum focusing distance. You have to design the lens differently to be able to focus from really close.

I think they usually have a floating element that allows 1:1 focusing????? I'm not really sure to be honest. Maybe some more knowledgeable in lens optical physics and designs can let you know.

Why aren't all zoom lenses f/1.4 zooms?

Cost prohibitive. The motor in a macro lens focuses slower as well. Not good for other things.

Why aren't all lenses 1" long and weigh 3 oz?

Why aren't all cams full frame and black and heavy?

Why can't they put a 'pro' button on my camera so every shot I take is in focus, perfectly cropped, color balanced, non-grainy, and ready to print on a billboard 50'x30'?

Oh wait...they do. I just need to go to BestBuy to get a point-n-shoot. Silly me.

Why can't a digital camera be manufactured that produces no noise at very high ISO?

I'm still waiting for the flying cars that were predicted in the '50s.

Why can't they put a 'pro' button on my camera so every shot I take is in focus, perfectly cropped, color balanced, non-grainy, and ready to print on a billboard 50'x30'?

Oh wait...they do. I just need to go to BestBuy to get a point-n-shoot. Silly me.

I heard if you complete their survey upon exiting the store they'll give you a huge custom watermark to use too

I heard if you complete their survey upon exiting the store they'll give you a huge custom watermark to use too

Yeah, but the kicker is that the watermark only works on macro shots. Too bad all lenses can't do macro.

Why can't my phone's 5MP sensor take photos as good as my dslr?

-Please ignore typos I'm currently on my phone-

Most reactions

New Topics

Back