Why ask for CC?

the fact that max is still here must mean 'anything goes'

ive seen him in action and he would of been banned on other sites

I've been on the receiving end on one of his absolutely brutal comments, but it needed to be said, the image sucked because I rushed it. His comment mad me look at it differently and find the error my self. Some times such brutal honesty can be rather educational and really the only way to say any thing useful.

But I have also received from him a comment on the polar opposite end of the spectrum so....

i was paid $45 for the childrens christmas shoot and i was not paid for the maternity, newborn or my family shoot...well okay the newborn shoot i was paid $20 but that was only for prints

As I mentioned above, I had not seen those two threads before I wrote my initial response to this thread.

Look, I understand you are a beginner. That's great. I hope you grow into an amazing photographer. The world could always use another one. But you are not "good enough" as you put it, to be charging for your work. Not because you can't produce work that your clients like, but because you're intrinsically unreliable until you have a good measure of control over your shots. The fact, as you mentioned, that you don't/didn't know what aperture is, is evidence of that.

so you were banned then and let back in.

One way of avoiding criticism of some of the technical aspects of your work would be to strip out the EXIF then say that it was shot on film and the scan doesn't do it justice. You'd have to admit that you hadn't put any effort in presenting the image, but that might be preferable to admitting that your technique is less than perfect.

Joking apart, I find that a lot of criticism is based solely on the viewer's values. It's quite an effort to first try to understand what the photographer is aiming for. It is a lot easier to apply cookie cutter standards. In very few cases is there any attempt to discuss the photographer's objective, and whether or not that gets across. That's why I have a similar stance to JC1220's. If someone has a specific question about their work it is a lot easier to respond positively and in a way that helps the individual. Technical problems are often the least serious part of a photographer's work - they are easy to fix. An overall lack of direction can be harder to work on for both parties.

Those of you who are fans of 'People Like Us', a spoof documentary series on BBC, may remember the Photographer episode. Bill Nighy, as the photographer, gets an excellent, incisive, critique of his work. I'll have to transcribe it someday.

Best,
Helen

Hey this isn't supposed to be about HER. At least not, only her.
Or max...leave him alone.

pick on and be picked on.

what goes around comes around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back