Why ask for CC?

On some forums, despite what the subject of the forum is about you will get the 'if you post you should be able to take whatever anyone says to you'.... type philosophy.

Well.... not here.

As this forum is privately owned... we have rules and guidlines... and this forum is for beginners as well as pro's. That means if for example a noobie is posting and is seen to be unnecessarily 'picked on' we will give warnings to those who are not giving reason behind their c&c or just being rude. If those people continue to be unhelpful in the same way they will be banned.

So its best really to speak to people (no matter what the skill level) as you would like to be spoke to.... the cocky attitude to c&c is likely to get you banned here.

So its best really to speak to people (no matter what the skill level) as you would like to be spoke to.... the cocky attitude to c&c is likely to get you banned here.

Well, but If I see this correctly, this was not what this thread was really about [Edit: ok, i re-read, and partially this is what it is about] ... of course from time to time there are really rude comments, here all you said applies.

Just I feel a bit unwilling to give further critique in a certain sub-section of the forum, where some people apparently cannot take it too well. But this is my problem and I will not rant further ;)

Strange enough, that Landscape&nature and General and similar sub-sections of the forum are much more relaxed here.

yea alex it can of course work both ways... if you offer helpful c&c and the poster not only cant seem to take any helpful comments on board and resorts to offensive replies then they will be the ones facing the warnings etc...

The best thing to do tho if someone doesnt seem to want even helpful c&c is to not go to any more of thier posts... even put them on your ignore list if you feel that strongly about them.

Say what you will...
But, if the title of a sub-section is "Professional Portrait and Wedding Photogragraphy" am I to assume that is what it means?
I mean if you don't even know the simple terms and the "very" basics like what shutter speed is, come on?
And when someone tells you to adjust your Aperture or your SS or your DOF or your exposure...should they have to tell you how? I mean since you're a pro and all.

(this is not geared toward anyone particular)

Say what you will...
But, if the title of a sub-section is "Professional Portrait and Wedding Photogragraphy" am I to assume that is what it means?
I mean if you don't even know the simple terms and the "very" basics like what shutter speed is, come on?
And when someone tells you to adjust your Aperture or your SS or your DOF or your exposure...should they have to tell you how? I mean since you're a pro and all.

(this is not geared toward anyone particular)

Well, the tearm CC spans over the entire forum, It's not restricted to the "Professional Portrait and Wedding Photogragraphy" section of the forum, That sub section is there for Professional Photographers, contrary to popular belief in order to be professional you get paid for your work not how well you know your work. So naturally sad as it may sound you will find that even the most basic of tearms may elude even a professional, As long as they are getting paid for their services they are by technicality professional.

Personally I feel inexperianced photographers should stay out of there untill they have some real experiance under their belt, but there is no real way to controll that really.

Oh..okay.
I'm cool with that.
If you like it...I love it.
(So to speak)

I'm not naming any names, but the "professional" section is rife with utter mediocrity and a lot of people who, when confronted with that, respond only by saying things to the effect of "how many family portraits are you getting paid for?" Look, I'm sorry that the photos you took of someone's daughter for a $30 sitting fee plus however much for the miserably post-processed prints that you aren't even going to take to a respectable printer, look like ****. News-Flash: the world is full of mediocre "professionals." You think I'm being rude? You've got a lot of nerve to pass off that crap as good work and then get defensive and self-righteous when someone points out poor post-processing, a lack of sharpness, misplaced focus, splotchy shadows on faces, blown out areas...sometimes all of the above.

As for CC elsewhere, unless you're familiar with a particular person whose work you're critiquing, you can never be sure how they're going to react. So let's all err on the side of caution and give them a big fat ****ing hug while we dance around the fact that the image is lacking in substance, shows very poor technical execution, or both. Screw that. Go join a Care Bears forum if that's your M.O. I get pissed off because most of the bad work posted here, even some in the professional forum, makes very clear that the photographer literally has very little understanding of what they're doing. I've said it a thousand times before...how dare you not invest any time and energy into learning your art/craft and then get offended about your own ignorance manifesting itself as a failed photograph? People who seem to have an idea of what they're doing, I tend to handle on a case-by-case basis.

And half of you who aren't noobs are part and ****ing parcel to their corruption. Stop recommending band-aid solutions in photoshop. My head tries to explode every time I see someone recommend that a crop be done in PP instead of in-camera, or that adjustment layers be used to compensate for bad exposure.

I'm not naming any names, but the "professional" section is rife with utter mediocrity and a lot of people who, when confronted with that, respond only by saying things to the effect of "how many family portraits are you getting paid for?" Look, I'm sorry that the photos you took of someone's daughter for a $30 sitting fee plus however much for the miserably post-processed prints that you aren't even going to take to a respectable printer, look like ****. News-Flash: the world is full of mediocre "professionals." You think I'm being rude? You've got a lot of nerve to pass off that crap as good work and then get defensive and self-righteous when someone points out poor post-processing, a lack of sharpness, misplaced focus, splotchy shadows on faces, blown out areas...sometimes all of the above.

As for CC elsewhere, unless you're familiar with a particular person whose work you're critiquing, you can never be sure how they're going to react. So let's all err on the side of caution and give them a big fat ****ing hug while we dance around the fact that the image is lacking in substance, shows very poor technical execution, or both. Screw that. Go join a Care Bears forum if that's your M.O. I get pissed off because most of the bad work posted here, even some in the professional forum, makes very clear that the photographer literally has very little understanding of what they're doing. I've said it a thousand times before...how dare you not invest any time and energy into learning your art/craft and then get offended about your own ignorance manifesting itself as a failed photograph? People who seem to have an idea of what they're doing, I tend to handle on a case-by-case basis.

And half of you who aren't noobs are part and ****ing parcel to their corruption. Stop recommending band-aid solutions in photoshop. My head tries to explode every time I see someone recommend that a crop be done in PP instead of in-camera, or that adjustment layers be used to compensate for bad exposure.

I'm sorry Max, I agree completely with that, every bit of it, but wow was that stiff.

Max tends to call a spade 'a spade' by the way. That's why we love to have him round here (some days anyway ;)). He does have several points worth making in there though, as blunt as they translate on screen.

i started reading max post and got bored enough said

Oh my goodness.

Well....I never!

(But, I'm glad Max did.)

*waits for the haters*

okay people i know you are talking about me so just get over yourselves!
enough said

I am? I don't even know that I've seen you work. I guess I should go see what all the fuss is about.

Edit: Oh, now I see the threads. Hadn't even looked at them before I wrote the above diatribe.

Most reactions

Back