Why ask for CC?

I wasnt gonna reply, but Chiller talked me into it. I have found it easier to just stop posting as many shots as I used to, cause my ignore list was getting too long and typing all the names in took too much time. :lmao:
Even tho this is a private owned forum, I just find the disrespect for other members, the mod team, and the owners, gets me. Im a Mod on two other forums...one photo related and one non photo related, and I see what goes on behind the scenes. To deal with the "morons" of the forum, is part of the job, but could be a lot easier if the members just followed the rules instead of coming on with egos and attitudes and throw it in the other members faces.

I do photography as a hobby and post my photos for fun. I never plan on being a photographer...... , ....oh never mind..... Im wasting my time....just show a little respect for the people who run tpf. Check your egos will ya...

Im still voting for the ignore list that blocks people from posting on any persons thread that has them on "ignore". ....:grumpy:

Just a quick aside. I have been one of the people that jumped on Max for his comments and I went as far as to say [about his photos] "put up or shut up" (which as you might imagine... pissed him off). I regret that exchange and I have since offered an apology and he has forgiven me for it. And to be honest, I am planning to meet Max after the holidays. I'm becoming one of his biggest fans. Not in the same way "Jim Jones had people witting to drink the cool-aid" kind of fan, but I feel a friendship brewing. Frankly I have a big list of "friends-a-brewing" people (and you all know who you are!) =o)

I think I did that because I was a little put off by the harshness of his critiques but in retrospect like Simon Cowel (sp), he's usually right... albeit "bull in the china shop right". I respect his opinions but frankly I might hold other posters somewhat higher in a way because of the situational experience. Not that's his is less important, it's just because of the situation. If I want a wedding photo question answered, I ask Cindy, a wedding photographer. If I need industrial questions answered I might go to someone else. And if I ever want to photograph a bug... it's going to be TCimages! But just because he and many, many others don't do this stuff full time doesn't make their opinions any less valid. Heck, I am a contractor. I spent my morning dropping off some prints to a local radio DJ during his morning show (and I took a few randoms - which I have been unofficially approached to take some corporate press photos of the station) and then I did a drywall repair and replaced the sub floor under a toilet! That's diverse but I still have been fortunate enough to be on the forum's startup screen this month. So I too take offense to the exact thing I accused Max of being.

But all of these critiques I give and ask for help me become a better photographer and I'd hope that the reason we're here in the first place is to become one. I look forward to Max or Cindy or Traveler or Alex B or anyone for that matter criticizing one of my shots. When one of those photographers, pro or not, gives me the "great shot" it makes me feel as if what I enjoy is not done in vane and my heart skips a beat. But on the other hand, if I get the "you need to do this...", I take that to heart too. Why? To make shots better and become more likely to have the "great shot".

At the end of the day. If I like the shot and see some value in it to me or the person in it... I'm happy and frankly that's all that matters. I need and want your criticisms but if it is given in a way I think it's "personal" not "technical" I ignore it too.

I just hope and pray that those of you I have given my opinions to have found it helpful and not personal.

David

Excellent words David. For me personally I think I have over stayed my welcome here. When TPF used to be a fun place to share images, I posted a lot more, sometimes a few threads a day. I guess we all see the forum different. Me? I do this as a hobby, and a release from my every day craziness, and dealing with customers. After 5, twelve hours days ,the last thing I want to do is post some photos of my time away, and get comments, that do not help, but comments that say...."this shot does nothing for me. " The new breed here does not have the same attitude towards photography as it was years ago. For me, some of the comments recieved from members here just make me want me to put my camera away, and do not inspire me to carry on with my hobby.
Many of my good friends have left tpf, but I still have many good friends here, so I stay to share my photos with them.
Maybe it is time the forum had a division...one for fun, and one for people who want professional talk. With over 10000 members it is heard to please everyone, and some of us feel our time is getting short here.
But being one of early members, I just hate seeing what has gone on here over the last little while.

I've only been a member since July and I have noticed a dissension amongst the ranks. Is it a case of familiarity breeds contempt?

Chiller, thanks for the words of wisdom in post #91. I was in the midst of lampooning a certain member for being contemptible in many of his responses of late. (NO MAX, it's not you this time). I decided to hold my tounge............for now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back