What's new

Why can't Nikon produce large aperture lenses

I am a huge Canon fan, and I love fast lenses.

Just because Canon has made faster lenses, it doesn't mean that Nikon CAN'T. It may mean they just don't want to. All I was saying.

I doubt that. Canon did it because they can. Most camera companies want to make such lenses, in part to show their capabilities. But Nikon has focussed more on high sensitivity sensors, probably more useful overall. It is impossible to speak definitively, but I believe strongly that Nikon simply cannot make autofocus lenses as fast as Canon can.

You may be right, I don't know.

I guess only the Nikon engineers could really give us a true answer.

You can go back and forth all day long about Canon vs. Nikon.

I have come to realize though that they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Its probably better to just leave it at that, because these things seem to always cause arguments.

Well I was around in the retail business when the EF mount was first introduced and read the sales literature. I seem to recall them saying that the larger mount opened up new possibilities in design. Nikon maintained compatibility with their old lenses but of course this is a limiting factor.
 
I doubt that. Canon did it because they can. Most camera companies want to make such lenses, in part to show their capabilities. But Nikon has focussed more on high sensitivity sensors, probably more useful overall. It is impossible to speak definitively, but I believe strongly that Nikon simply cannot make autofocus lenses as fast as Canon can.

You may be right, I don't know.

I guess only the Nikon engineers could really give us a true answer.

You can go back and forth all day long about Canon vs. Nikon.

I have come to realize though that they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Its probably better to just leave it at that, because these things seem to always cause arguments.

Well I was around when the EF mount was first introduced and read the sales literature. I seem to recall them saying that the larger mount opened up new possibilities in design. Nikon maintained compatibility with their old lenses but of course this is a limiting factor.

You got some fire in you LOL. If thats true then you do make a good point.

This makes me want to do some research...

I own the lens work III book, theres so much technical stuff in there its insane. Its like the Canon lens bible. :mrgreen:

I would recommend all Canon fans buy it, since its under $25.

I love Canon, we should get along pretty well. :thumbup:
 
You may be right, I don't know.

I guess only the Nikon engineers could really give us a true answer.

You can go back and forth all day long about Canon vs. Nikon.

I have come to realize though that they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Its probably better to just leave it at that, because these things seem to always cause arguments.

Well I was around when the EF mount was first introduced and read the sales literature. I seem to recall them saying that the larger mount opened up new possibilities in design. Nikon maintained compatibility with their old lenses but of course this is a limiting factor.

You got some fire in you LOL. If thats true then you do make a good point.

This makes me want to do some research...

I own the lens work III book, theres so much technical stuff in there its insane. Its like the Canon lens bible. :mrgreen:

I would recommend all Canon fans buy it, since its under $25.

I love Canon, we should get along pretty well. :thumbup:

I own 35 year-old Leicaflex SL2 and Leicaflex lenses from the 70s and 80s.
 
Well I was around when the EF mount was first introduced and read the sales literature. I seem to recall them saying that the larger mount opened up new possibilities in design. Nikon maintained compatibility with their old lenses but of course this is a limiting factor.

You got some fire in you LOL. If thats true then you do make a good point.

This makes me want to do some research...

I own the lens work III book, theres so much technical stuff in there its insane. Its like the Canon lens bible. :mrgreen:

I would recommend all Canon fans buy it, since its under $25.

I love Canon, we should get along pretty well. :thumbup:

I own 35 year-old Leicaflex SL2 and Leicaflex lenses from the 70s and 80s.

Ya I just noticed that. Very nice gear.

I just did some quick research on the Nikon F mount, and Canon EF mount.

It looks like its 44mm diameter for the Nikon, and 54mm for the Cannon.

That is a pretty large difference.

The glass on the 85mm 1.2 maxes out the EF mount's dimensions. You may be right that Nikon simply can't do a 1.2.

What is the relationship between focal length and the size of the glass at the mount? Like for example would it be smaller on a 35mm?

I know the glass on the back of my 35mm 1.4 is still pretty large.

Here is a pic of the mount on my 85mm 1.2. As you can see the glass takes up the entire width of the EF mount.

1.
IMG_8885.jpg


I just confirmed that the glass does not stick out from the mount. It is so close that its scary though.
 
Last edited:
Yes, if Nikon would produce the 50mm 1.2 and the 85mm 1.2 probably I would sell all my Canon lenses.
 
Just to add. I own both 1.4 and 1.2 lenses for wedding photography. The 0.2 DOES make a difference!
 
Last edited:
Petraio Prime, do you have to derail every thread into some melodramatic soap box?
 
Petraio Prime, do you have to derail every thread into some melodramatic soap box?

Well if people would simply accept that I know what I'm talking about and save themselves the trouble of contradicting me...things would be fine.
 
Sorry, even if it is truth .. but I do not believe you ...

You may continue ..
 
Sorry, even if it is truth .. but I do not believe you ...

You may continue ..

Suit yourself.

Learn something about lens optics and get back to me.
 
Last edited:
Yeah. I don't suppose that Canon's words make any difference to the opinions of those who say that throat diameter has no effect on fast lens design, but here they are anyway:

"The EF mount, with an internal diameter of 54mm (external diameter of 65mm), has the largest clear aperture of any lens system used with a 35mm SLR camera. The large aperture EF mount made possible the brightest lens in the world designed for a 35mm SLR camera, the "EF50mm f/1.0L USM" lens."

Source: here

What do Canon know about lens design anyway?

Best,
Helen
 
Yeah. I don't suppose that Canon's words make any difference to the opinions of those who say that throat diameter has no effect on fast lens design, but here they are anyway:

"The EF mount, with an internal diameter of 54mm (external diameter of 65mm), has the largest clear aperture of any lens system used with a 35mm SLR camera. The large aperture EF mount made possible the brightest lens in the world designed for a 35mm SLR camera, the "EF50mm f/1.0L USM" lens."

Source: here

What do Canon know about lens design anyway?

Best,
Helen

For all those who doubted me:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtwlHV1-O8[/ame]
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom