Why can't you turn off the flash on aperture/shutter priority modes?

SpacemanSpliff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking this is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to think myself through to the answer. Help?

Hey, welcome, SpacemanSpliff. Kind of a long username. Anyway, as KmH has written, the answer, as usual, is in your user's manual. If you would tell us what camera, we could actually look up the page number for you.

On all of mine all I have to do to prevent it from firing in aperture or shutter priority mode is to close it.

It looks like you have a D5100 so just close the lid when flash is not needed. If you leave it open, the camera assumes you want to use it.

It looks like you have a D5100 so just close the lid when flash is not needed. If you leave it open, the camera assumes you want to use it.
I do have a d5100. I actually looked at the manual and it seems there's no "off" setting for the flash. At best, there's an auto mode which will pop the flash up if it senses that there's insufficient light. This is in contrast with auto mode, which has a total "off" setting for the flash that won't activate the flash even if you're in a pitch black room.

....or am I just misunderstanding what I read in the manual (a definite possibility lol)?

btw, thanks guys for the help

The flash is "off" when using M, A, S, P, and No-Lightning modes -- so long as the flash is down.

The flash will pop-up automatically, and be in use, in: Auto, Flower, 80's Running Man, Baby, Landscape, and Pretty Lady in a Hat modes.

Last edited:
The flash is "off" when using M, A, S, P, and No-Flash modes -- so long as the flash is down.

The flash will pop-up automatically in Auto, Flower, 80's Running Man, Baby, Landscape, and Pretty Lady in a Hat modes.

80's Running man? Lol.. ok, that was just the chuckle I needed to start my day..

Both my DSLRs (Nikon D5100 and D600) only use flash in the program modes (which means program, shutter prio, aperture prio, manual) if and only if I have either (a) popped up the internal flash or (b) put on a flash (or flash trigger etc) on the camera.

Gaffer's tape?

Both my DSLRs (Nikon D5100 and D600) only use flash in the program modes (which means program, shutter prio, aperture prio, manual) if and only if I have either (a) popped up the internal flash or (b) put on a flash (or flash trigger etc) on the camera.

Yeah, I don't use Nikon, but every camera I've used was the same. For flash to be on by default in aperture priority just seems weird...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back