Why did you buy a Sony?

They also have the a37 coming out which will be an entry level full frame camera. The A900 is still a great camera in capable hands especially when strapped with Zeiss glass. A99 should be a beast of a camera.

Personally I just got my new a580 in the mail yesterday. That thing is a huge upgrade from my a200. I have to admit I really like having live view.

Isn't the a37 replacing the a35? Why is it FF? Link?

I think the a37 is a crop sensor. There is a lot of talk of other FF from sony other than the a99 possibly a FF mirror-less and a 36mm x 36mm square full frame sensor. Whether any of it comes true only time will tell. Thje only thing that seems certain is no optical view finder.

For point and shoot you can't get better than Sony imo.

I bought a A65 good camera, great video. Good sports and pet performance. frames per second is great. you can use the eye piece or the live view same speed! live view on other manufactures is a joke, so slow.

I went to Sony because ithe a850 was a full frame camera I could afford. Plus lens selection. I plan to pick up their next full frame camera when it comes out. I have the Carl Zeiss 24-70mm lens. That is one nice lens.

The trolls in here are outstanding... :|

I went w/ a Sony A350 because I had a few Minolta/Sigma lenses and it was a smart choice. Now I'm pretty entrenched in the damn thing. Battery grip, Sigma flash, etc. etc. I love the camera. Been using it since 2008.

Funny lots of people think you can only use Sony proprietary items on the Alpha series, but I didn't know you could use your Nikon lenses with Canon bodies :p

I had my eyes on the 7D before sony took over Minolta's DSLR line. The a700 and the a900 were too expensive at the time, so I bought a a350. I plan to upgrade to the a700 soon.

But it was pretty much built-in IS that had me interested. No other feature, really.

Last edited:
I had my eyes on the 7D before sony took over Minolta's DSLR line. The a700 and the a900 were too expensive at the time, so I bought a a350. I plan to upgrade to the a700 soon.

But it was pretty much built-in IS that had me interested. No other feature, really.

It is a great feature. I'd like to shoot FF but the price isn't practical for me at this time. A350 works great for everything I've done. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

the a350 is OK. The finder is bad, like awful bad, and it's a bit noisy. The body is a little flimsy and never sat well in my hands until I got a vertical grip.

But, it does well, especially under ISO 400, and without it I'd never have made the jump to digital, in fact, I prob would have given up photography.

You should look into the a700. I think it's a good intermediate step between the a350 and a900, and they cost only about $500 now. Not full frame, but looks like a better body with significantly lower noise.

the a350 is OK. The finder is bad, like awful bad, and it's a bit noisy. The body is a little flimsy and never sat well in my hands until I got a vertical grip.

But, it does well, especially under ISO 400, and without it I'd never have made the jump to digital, in fact, I prob would have given up photography.

You should look into the a700. I think it's a good intermediate step between the a350 and a900, and they cost only about $500 now. Not full frame, but looks like a better body with significantly lower noise.

I like my a580. I have heard about some issues with the a700 that prevented me from getting it. The IS that is built in is pretty decent. I tested it against the IS that is built into my sigma lenses and did not notice any real difference.

what issues have you heard about the a700? as I said, I am thinking about getting one, but all I am reading are old reviews by critics when it first was shipped...

what issues have you heard about the a700? as I said, I am thinking about getting one, but all I am reading are old reviews by critics when it first was shipped...

I heard that the adjustment wheel will start fruiting out and slipping when you try to turn it to adjust things like aperture. I have a friend that wore out two of them. This is after continued use but I have heard that from more then one person who used one.

That a580 is really solid. More MPs, better ISO (up to 12800), amazing live view, still has OVF. I really like mine. Very solid camera.

The 580 was my runner up. Still nervous about the pentamirror...

Most reactions

Back