Why do "real" photographers hate instagram?

Derrel said:
Waffle House has sexier waitresses...

I use to be a waiter at the Waffle House in Denham Springs, Louisiana (and a few other locations in Louisiana) for 1.5 years. There are some sexy waitresses, but they are amazingly very few and obnoxiously far between.

Derrel said:
Hey....don't laugh... at f/6:30 or f/7:30 or even as late as f/11:00 the waffle kicks a$$, dude. And...when your eyes are half-open, really early in the AM, like at f/2:00, the waffle is rippin' good!

IHOP is better.

LOL I really hope you're not talking about the hotcake house on powell, you know.. next to lucky devil?

Derrel said:

I don't know man.

I went to one right by a hotel I was staying at and she had a mustache.

And not a wispy, girly, "au naturale is sexy" mustache. It was a STACHE.

maybe for the same reason that a real driver prefers a manual transmission?

that's why my mustang is manual. might as well throw a sports car away if its automatic.
or a Jeep...only hipsters and yuppies drive automatic wranglers.

Move to Europe, where automatic cars are a minority.

It's like guitars for the left-handed.... less in stock.

my instagram has good natural bokeh.
it's 'nervous' bokeh, though ;)

lol at what point does one consider themselves a REAL Photographer. I believe it’s an ongoing learning curve and we just get better with age like a good wine.

I hate it because everyone who i know who uses it takes stupid pictures with it. I bet 90% of the pics on instagram are of food. Who cares what you had for breakfast. Want to know what I care less about? How your breakfast looks with a yellow grainy filter applied to it. What annoys me is I think people take more photos than they should with it because they think adding a filter suddenly makes a subject interesting. Granted if it was used "properly" to "enhance" actual good subject matter, and the filter was properly selected for a purpose, not just because its different, then maybe it could be ok.

Also - they use wayyyy too many yellow filters. Makes everyone look like they have jaundice.

last but not least - hippies. A lot of people who use instagram (that I know) are in what I would call "hippie" state of mind. They usually have iphones / macs (which i hate), listen to crap music like the beatles, and enjoy recycling. All of the above I hate.

If someone told me the only pictures I could take from now on were on isntagram, I would give up photography right now.

When someone shows me a picture they took with instagram, my mind inadvertantly wanders off to where I'm thinking "I wonder how long it would take me to bleed to death if i punched through (insert nearest glass object) wrist first"

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Instagram? Most of the photos are poorly done, and making them yellow and soft (or whatever) doesn't improve them... no matter what all of the Instagram lovers think.

It's a fun social app like Facebook. I don't go there for inspiration but occasionally the photographers I follow put up some really good stuff.

I agree with what you said about using apps as a means of practice. And as far as "taking the skill and effort out of photography", who really cares so long you have fun with it and it makes you want to take more photos.
Imo technical aspects are overrated, photography is supposed to be fun and anything that makes it less fun isn't worth it.

Because it takes absolutely NO skill. And then you get all these poser 'photographers' claiming to be taking these good photographs. All you do it press a button. Where's the skill in that?

I dont hate it, but i do have a few pet peeves about it, well more really the people (that i know at least) who use it, innapropriate use of filters for example, sepia tones added to modern products, tilt shift filters that just dont work and polaroid fuzziness added to every picture they take... Its just not cool.

Most reactions

Back