Why do you love film? opinions needed for article

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by RedStarRevels, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bet you said the same thing when the HIE discontinuance rumors first starting spreading.

I'll spread what I like, thank you. You can take your complaints over the APUG Product Availability forum.

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes Max, you are free to spread whatever baseless rumour you read on the internet, just as I am free to comment, and to ask you why you wish to spread it.

For the record, you are completely wrong in your assumption about my reaction to the story on the discontinuance of HIE. Here is my contribution to the thread on APUG. I entitled my post HIE not not discontinued. I didn't base the title on rumour however, I based it on a conversation I had with a reliable source at Kodak. I thought that Martin Reed was not the sort of person who would spread rumours, and I knew who had told Martin, so I decided to fish around a bit.

Best,
    Helen

3. McManniss

McManniss TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People seem to forget these days how much you can actually do with film and with everything that has been done in the past up until digital came into the world. You can push film, pull film, you can cross process it, you can flash it, you can mix lighting sources, you can double expose it...the list goes on and on. There are so many applications and different things you can do to it, there's a reason its been around so long.
    Not to mention that each film has its own characteristics and curves and responds differently. Plus that fact that most films have a wider exposure latitude that digital.
    That is why film is great.

4. doobs

doobs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've already invested so much money into film, I can't buy a digital camera of equal quality. (If one exists at all) Film is just fun, I guess. I enjoy working in the darkroom and stuff too.

5. Alpha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I also firmly believe that Kodak will stop making Kodachrome 64, if they haven't already. Guess I'm not supposed to spread that either?

It seems obvious that Kodak is going to continue to pare down their film line. I'm sorry if that plays into the imaginary "5 films" figure. Maybe it's 3...maybe it's 8. I don't know. What, to you, differentiates speculation from rumor? Either one can be well or poorly grounded in empirical reality. There's no doubt in my mind that Kodak's continued discontinuance of film products is an inevitability, not a possibility. The only thing that makes my comment a rumor is the fact that it hasn't happened yet.

6. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Among the advantages of film is the equivalent of 42 bit colour versus 12, 14, or even 16 bit colour from digital which means a greater colour range, greater dynamic and contrast range, and more detail in highlight and dark areas.

Digital however is closing the gap. Dynamic range is improving and selective and expert postprocessing is making the difference between film and digital almost invisible.

The advantage of digital at the moment is good noise control at high ISOs of 1600 or greater, the ease of selective postprocessing and greater control after the shot in the digital darkroom.

Film will become a specialty item as the economies of scale in terms of high quantity production will no longer apply. It will therefore become more expensive to produce partly because of its relationship to petroleum products and silver.

Film will eventually disappear but not with any great speed until digital photography considerably improves in colour, contrast, dynamic range and resolution and computers and photo editing software become even more sophisticated and able to easily handle very large photo files quickly and efficiently.

skieur

7. Alpha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Film will not eventually disappear. Mostly because it will never disappear, and partly because it ****ing rocks.

8. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some of the reasons why I stick to film:

- I am happy with the results I get (35mm and MF)
    - Going digital would be a huge investment (camera, lenses, new computer, porcessing software..) for very little improvement (if any) in the quality of my pictures.
    - I enjoy spending time in a darkroom but don't like spending hours editing pictures on a computer.

9. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    I stick with film for the reasons mentioned above, but also because I find film to be tangible; that is, when I shoot an image and process the film, through the chemical process I get a physical image that can then be manipulated. I don't find digital images to have the same philosophical attributes, then.

10. stubbsk

stubbsk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the kind of control over colour in digital goes far beyond that of film. Digital has not surpassed film however as this ultimate control is still applicable to scanned negatives and slides. Many pro's still shoot 10x8 neg as more of the original detail gets translated into the final print.

I'm sure this sums up my skill as a photographer but I get much better results with digital then I do with film. It's nice however to have the option of film because like previous techniques it wont become redundant as it has it's own artistic value. Digital is constantly improving and in my case it's the better option because I'm physically, emotionally and biologically attached to my computer's as an 18 year old student.

11. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a 29 year old super-student and I'm attached to mine, too! :lol:

12. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Personally I feel film is only true tangable photography media. Yes I do understand the memory cards and RAW files hold their weight in any copyright office, but they are duplicable and easily altered. That is not to say film can not be duplicated and or altered, but the practice of doing so is much more difficult than with digital media, for the most part not even worth trying. Also with Digital media there are several more factors that increase the odds of damage and/or total loss of original imagery. A hard drive fails one could loose hundrads or thousands of images, a memory card bites the shead and anything on that is toast. This is in addition to the things like excessive heat, fire, water and other sources of damage that can claim film.

The words "I have and can provide the negitives" should always mean more than "I have and can provide the original RAW and/or JPEG".

That is my opinion on the matter. Sadly this is another one of those debates that will not end untill one side or the other is completely destroyed.....and I see no true end to either side anywhere in the near future.