why does no one have anything good to say?

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
whenever i post anything for C&C everyone focuses on the bad, i understand how important it is to know what needs to be fixed and corrected but to not say anything about a photo is good whatsoever is just insulting in my opinion.

its this that has shied me away from this for quite some time in search of more supportive ways to improve my skills

I think it's a matter of perspective. I see a lot of good here. So much so that it is why I stay.

I like the criticism, it's how I grow. Also, I know that when the time comes that I get a good comment...it will be genuine and a sign of my improvement. Sure there are some that could maybe use a lesson or two in tact...but don't take it personally. Take everything in as a whole, not a part.

I am not here to get my ego stroked...that is what facebook if for, I want to know the bad so I can improve. To me, if all I ever get is bad comments...then I'm not improving...and I am not learning or using what is told to me.

Just my opinion. Hope it sheds some hope for you. This is a great place to truly learn.

I also have to say, to say that "no one has anything good to say" is just as detrimental as those who lack tact. There is plenty of good being said...

I usually just come back with better stuff. For some reason these people dont say anything when I got something good. They are waiting for me to post something really bad I think.

i like the criticism as well, but i can only take so much bad criticism and bad comments that it just deters to not even come back to the site and almost not even pick up my camera anymore, sure ive improved myself over the 8 or so years ive been shooting, i would like to know the things im doing right from time to time

I usually just come back with better stuff. For some reason these people dont say anything when I got something good. They are waiting for me to post something really bad I think.

i have noticed this a lot as well, all the posts that actually have great pictures dont have comments at all, its all the bad stuff that people like to pick apart with rude degrading comments.

whatever happened to "if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all" or something like that

Because its a C&C forum? the second C stands for criticism

criticism doesnt always have to be bad, criticism focuses on many parts of a piece of art, not just whats bad, 3 of my art classes in high school focused heavily on criticism

Because you should know what's good about what you're doing, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

Maybe it's a case of "no news is good news" so if you get a post with nothing...then by default it's good. lol.

or really really boring...lol.

criticism is about what's "bad", otherwise it would be called praise. I had this discussion with someone earlier, and sure it's just my opinion...but it seems as though people as of late...(not directing at you) just want an ego stroking. To me its just silly. People need to put on their big boy pants and just learn from it. Also remember, just because someone says something....doesn't mean it's true.

I am not trying to be rude, but I must say...if peoples comments on here make you want to, or even think about, not picking up your camera anymore as you stated above...then there are other issues at hand that I won't get into on here. There is not a single thing, or a thousand things, that anyone can say on a website to affect my life so much as to stop doing what I love to do. Man up.

Now my advice/comments in there is very straight forward, no punches pulled, and to the point...and much like criticism is...and seeing how you feel about criticism on here based on your posts...I would assume you would tag me and my comments as rude or uncool. I hope you don't. I hope you can honestly see what it is that I'm saying. I do see what you're saying, so don't think I dont...like I said..some folks on here can indeed learn tact. Other than that, it is what it is. Good advice/criticism.

...maybe use P&W (praise and worship) instead of C&C in the title. (hint: that was sarcasm ;-) )

Refer to the guys comment above.

You'll learn quickly that the criticisms will make you a better photographer. Constant "Well dones" provide a sense of false approval. If work is good, you will earn praise. If not, well then you will have more suggestions then you could imagine. Have a tough skin my friend, and your work will improve by leaps and bounds!

Consider the sources of the praise you get as well. Sometimes praise comes from someone who is inexperienced themselves. How does that help you, other than making you feel good and reinforcing possibly bad technique?

If every image you post, you only get "it's out of focus", that should clue you in on something to work on.
Once you no longer get those comments, because you mastered focus, then it might be another glaring issue, which would again tell you what you need to work on. Strive to master that now.

If you keep getting told you subject is not interest, well, work on that!

If you want candy coating, go buy some M&M's.
If you want to know what you need to work on, ask for C&C.

Some people believe in the praise sandwich, some don't.
You are getting free advice. You get what you pay for.

Study on your own. After all you should be driven by your desire.

I have customers who never tell me I did a good job. But I know when I do a good job and when my work is flawed.
There are plenty of other jewelers work I look at and know what I have to strive for, and how far away I am from achieving it.

The same holds true for photography. I know where I stand, and how far I need to go.
You need to develop that whitin yourself as well.

If you seek praise, join Flickr groups and post your work. You'll get all kinds of glittery hearts and stars.
Come back here for a reality check.

And you know what they say! If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Join FroKnowsPhoto.com too. It's nearly in their rules that you can't be negative.

thank emicus and jeweler for shedding some more light on this subject

Well, I agree in general with the view that sugar-coated commentary isn't going to do much to actually help address any problematic areas in a person's work; however, I also feel that to supply criticism which is all negative, no matter how well intended and constructive it might be, will only come across as destructive and demotivating.

Just like when you clear someone out at cards, you should always leave them with their bus fare home. If there really is nothing good or positive that can be added to help the medicine go down whilst giving it to them as it really is, then that will only leave a bad taste in the mouth and be very off putting.

I think if you simply request what is specifically good about the image, and what is specifically bad, most will give you both. The criticism is intended to help you improve and avoid mistakes in the future.

Most reactions

Back