why does no one have anything good to say?

While I agree that not every picture is a picaso

Do you mean conceptually plagerized?

(sorry for the art history snark)

---

I can guarentee you. If a photographer does anything remotely new or innovative, it will be either ignored, or torn up into little bits.

The fact is, people only leave comments when:
1. the photos are really bad
2. the photos are really good
3. posted by a really active member
4. very interesting photo (even if it is poorly shot)

If your photo is not in these category, forget it. You are lucky if you get 5 comments.

OR,
#5: The OP alludes to the imminent opening of their studio, having just purchased their first DSLR.
#6: The first one or two comments are so snarky that everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon.

They're all just opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.

If what was said makes sense to you, run with it. If it doesn't, ignore it. If it's ridiculous advice or CC, feel free to laugh at it. If it's dead wrong, feel free to correct or question it. If it was particularly helpful in your opinion *Like* it.

Just don't take any of it too seriously or dwell on it or let any of it get to you, either by swelling your head or crushing your spirit, or you'll suck the fun out of it.

It's certainly true that some people on here make rude comments, often without offering anything constructive, but posting on the internet is sort of like going down the street and asking everyone you meet. Some of them are going to be unpleasant people you don't want to deal with. The only way to handle this, other than just not posting on here at all, is to ignore the unhelpful comments and get what you can from the constructive ones.

But negative comments are most often constructive, and on the flip side positive comments can also be destructive, empty, and meaningless.

I agree completely with both of your statements. I wasn't bemoaning the negative comments that actually are constructive. And yes, there are lots of meaningless positive comments, but those are even easier to ignore. It's just unfortunate when something pretty bad is posted and gets only the unhelpful positive comments, while others among us don't bother to jump in and critique, possibly because it is often hard to know where to begin.

Don't ignore it. It's easy to get into the ignoring what you don't like and self dillusion, I have to fight this all the time. I think the only critiques that I ignore are those that clearly show no attempt to be constructive, simple one liners; especially "it's boring".

But i think that if someone puts out more than a few words, you should be greatful. I also think that it should be more encouraged that the photographer be allowed to discuss the critique, especially when specific choices are made in an image and being questioned. It helps everyone involved, it may hep the critiquer to understand and appreciate different approaches, and it may help the photographer understand and appreciate why the approach was not successful.

It's certainly true that some people on here make rude comments, often without offering anything constructive, but posting on the internet is sort of like going down the street and asking everyone you meet. Some of them are going to be unpleasant people you don't want to deal with. The only way to handle this, other than just not posting on here at all, is to ignore the unhelpful comments and get what you can from the constructive ones.

But negative comments are most often constructive, and on the flip side positive comments can also be destructive, empty, and meaningless.

I couldn't disagree more. You are probably thinking what gryphonslair is thinking.

Not criticism.

Scenario:

2 + 2= 4. " Very Good Little Johnny" Now what has Johnny leaned?

2 + 2 = 5. "No Johnny, that is not correct. Let us try this. Here are 2 pencils and here are 2 pens. Now how many things do we have to write with on the table." 4 "Now Johnny, the next time you have a problem with addition you might do something like this with whatever you have on hand. You can even just make marks on a piece of paper and add them up." Johnny has now learned a technique that he did not have in his tool box before.

Praise is nice but it sooths the ego.
Constructive critisism while not so good for the ego, provides tools to improve. Why are you asking for C&C, Ego or Education?

Scenario 1. A praise was given, nothing else.
Scenario 2. An explanation of how to fix the problem was given.

Neither one was criticism.
Criticism: The practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works.

It has been proven many times that pointing out the good is more constructive that pointing out the bad.

This is criticism.

Last edited:
gryphonslair99 said:
Scenario:

2 + 2= 4. " Very Good Little Johnny" Now what has Johnny leaned?

2 + 2 = 5. "No Johnny, that is not correct. Let us try this. Here are 2 pencils and here are 2 pens. Now how many things do we have to write with on the table." 4 "Now Johnny, the next time you have a problem with addition you might do something like this with whatever you have on hand. You can even just make marks on a piece of paper and add them up." Johnny has now learned a technique that he did not have in his tool box before.

Praise is nice but it sooths the ego.
Constructive critisism while not so good for the ego, provides tools to improve. Why are you asking for C&C, Ego or Education?

Pints and wings helps me with my 1,2,3's lol.

You are causing yourself too much work then. Pints and wings ADD up to lots of trips to the Pissor.

Shots and Double shots only causes a short trip down to the floor. :lol:

When I post photos I don't expect a lot of comments, I'm not looking for praise.

I post photos primarily for two reasons:
1. I already KNOW there are issues with it, and want help figure out how to resolve them.
2. I really LIKE the photo and want to see if it might actually BE good, or if a more objective viewer will see what's wrong about it--which, for me, is almost ALWAYS the case. ;) But that's okay, because while it might sometimes hurt my "pride" to have what I thought was a really good photo torn apart, it helps me make the next one even better.

I rarely get more than just a handful of comments on my photo threads, and sometimes even getting those is like pulling teeth.
But the comments I have gotten, I believe, have helped me improve my photography two- or three-fold from where I was a year ago.

To answer the Op's question. I think that most people here are helpful, but they might not know the best way to help. That is why some people's comments are rather harsh, but the intention is good. Can't complain because it's free.

It has been proven many times that pointing out the good is more constructive that pointing out the bad.

This is criticism.

That is ego and provides no tools to fix that which needs to be fixed. We just had our house painted. The painters actually finished last evening. This afternoon the crew boss and the painting company owner are coming over for a walk around. They did a nice job.

Now if they come over and I tell them,"You did a nice job." I have soothed their ego and they will leave and send me my bill.

However my wife and I have already walked around the place and found a few minor touch ups that need to be done. We will point them out to them and they will correct them. As I said, they have already done a nice job and the house looks great. But after they correct them these minor things the house will look even better and they will still know that they did a good job along with the knowledge that they have a happy customer that will recommend them to others.

Which is does more for this painter and his crew. "You did great" or "Looks real nice, but there are a couple of things that need corrected and here is what they are." The end result after the corrections is going to be far more valuable in the long run.

The one question I would as of people that post here or on any forum is, do you ask yourself why you are tuely posting what ever it is you want to ask and are you ready for the answers that you are going to get. People that post for ego will usually have that ego hurt. People that truely have the desire to learn will take those things offered whether they like them or not, evaluate them and pick out the wheat from the chaff, and apply those thing to what they do.

Then there are those that are looking for a free handout. But that subject deserves it's own, and will quickly become, ugly thread.

You made emphasis on the fact that they did a good job, however it needs a few touch ups and you'll 100% satisfied.

What if the result had been very different. You were unhappy with the job, major problems everywhere. How would you handle the situation.

Would you get angry and start pointing out the problems? or Would you start with something positive? Like I was recommended by a friend and they were satisfied, or I heard that you always did a good job, and then start pointing out the problems.

Most people are faster to point out the bad first.

I'm not even a very good photographer and I get plenty of good comments from people. I think you're having a bit of selective memory here, where you're only remembering those comments that stung.

Really, in the end I treasure the informed, but harsh criticisms much more than "that's a great shot" comments. The worst is when I put something up for C+C and I dont get a single comment on how I could have made the shot better.

Sure, some harsh comments you get have no idea what they're talking about. But many can truly be helpful.

I really can't make any coherent statement from everyone's opinions but I can say when I respond.

1) If a person clearly has not looked at the galleries to see how other people's work had been evaluated, just goes blindly ahead and posts 10 or 12 unnumbered random shots, I think, 'what a rude jerk' but I don't write anything.

2) If a person clearly has not looked at the galleries to see how other people's work had been evaluated and just blindly posts really bad images, badly exposed, badly composed and doesn't say anything about having a problem, I think, 'what a rude self-centered putz who thinks the art of photography started when he decided to post a picture' but I don't write anything.

3) If however, a person posts a picture or two and says something to the effect that they know this isn't right but they can't understand why, I'll do anything to help wherever I can.

The long term problem with situations 1 & 2 is that, inevitably someone, often someone who doesn't seem to know much more than the poster, will chime in and say something like I like 1 but cut off a bit at the bottom, I like 2 but it is too dark and so.

Telling people how you would correct an individual image is absolutely not the way to help someone, particularly someone who needs systemic help.
Corrections should only be made in response to recognition of a problem and, if the problem is sytemic to this person's work, then talk about the problem not the correction needed.

You made emphasis on the fact that they did a good job, however it needs a few touch ups and you'll 100% satisfied.

What if the result had been very different. You were unhappy with the job, major problems everywhere. How would you handle the situation.

Would you get angry and start pointing out the problems? or Would you start with something positive? Like I was recommended by a friend and they were satisfied, or I heard that you always did a good job, and then start pointing out the problems.

Most people are faster to point out the bad first.

Allot of it depends on who did the painting. if some kids down the street did the painting I would just likely point out they worked hard but a few things need to be taken care of. but if its a professional job and it was horrible i'd probalby go off on them. allot of how people respond relates to how the person posted in the first place.

Me, I personally post up photos to be ripped apart. The whole reason I came to a photography site was to tear apart my photos. find out what I need to improve or change. or even just another way I could have looked at the setup to come up with something diffrent. If I want praise i'll post them up for my mom. My mom loves all my photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back