Why does the (Digital Rebel XTi) (400D) have two names?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I bought the Digital Rebel XTi from Futureshop, but when I was reading reviews I found out that it is also called the 400D. Some models are branded with the XTi, and others 400D. Does anybody know why this is, why there are two different names for the same camera?

Thanks.

as kent said it is based on local. USA usually refers to it as Digital Rebel XTi and Europe refers to it as the 400D.
Same holds true with the Powershot series. USA - Powershot, Europe - Ixus...

I wish they called it the 400D everywhere, sounds better than the rebel. Japan calls them Kiss Digitals haha

Here you could buy Jif cleaner. Now it's Cif. Doesn't seem to be any better at cleaning stuff. Maybe a Canon Rebel makes you a more adventurous, rule-breaking photographer than a 400D, but I doubt it. Or maybe there's a really good reason, maybe the politicians of a number of European countries warned Canon that calling the camera "Rebel" could incite political unrest... again probably not the answer.

My guess, they do it so that all those people whose job is to brand and re-brand can justify their existence and don't have to go out and get a proper job :lol:

Because Americans like cool names. i mean c'mon, ask yourself, would you rather buy something called a REBEL XT! or something called a D40?

Most reactions

Back