HELP!!! WEIRD LINES, SPOTS AND ARTIFACTS ON PHOTOS!!!!!

ericdao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i always shoot raw and ive never had a problem with my d7000 however i switched it to JPEG fine and photos taken have serious issues! $DSC_8556.jpg$DSC_8568.jpg$DSC_8569.jpg

Do they show up that way on the monitor? Try some different software to view them and see if the problem persists.

Are you using D-Lighting or anything like that? It looks like the camera might be trying to compensate for blown out areas of the photo. Do you have any "normal" photos that have artifacts in them?

Yes they show up that way on my laptop, camera lcd, and in photoshop. I have active d lighting off and everything manual. When i shoot raw everything is perfectly fine, that last photo is a raw file and is normal.

Look at the image at 100%- it's not posterization. I'm seeing stripes at a set stride through the image, looks more like a lost bit than conversion to 8-bit problem.

Change the compression ratio of the JPEG, and size of the JPEG- shoot Raw+JPEG and see what happens.

What flash are you using with the camera? It looks kind of like a Vivitar 283, but I cannot be sure from the image.

Some older flashes dump the entire charge through the camera. This can damage some cameras, others protect against the full-current discharge.

Shoot some pictures without the flash. Sometimes- induced current finds it's way into digital electronics and has an affect on processing. Looking at the JPEG images, it looks like the image is corrupt- as in bits in the pixels either being stuck, or being dropped.

Knowing what camera/lens and some exposure info would help.

That was tough.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Lens: 17.0-50.0 mm f/2.8
Image Date: 2013-02-05 16:55:29 +0000
Focal Length: 17mm (35mm equivalent: 25mm)
Focus Distance: 2.51m
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows

What flash are you using with the camera? It looks kind of like a Vivitar 283, but I cannot be sure from the image.

Some older flashes dump the entire charge through the camera. This can damage some cameras, others protect against the full-current discharge.

Shoot some pictures without the flash. Sometimes- induced current finds it's way into digital electronics and has an affect on processing. Looking at the JPEG images, it looks like the image is corrupt- as in bits in the pixels either being stuck, or being dropped.

Seeing as the flash is visible in the image I'm going make the wild assumption that the flash was fired remotely.
I would like to see a remote flash frying up a camera because of full-current discharge. ;)

This looks like a mighty fine in-camera processing problem to me.
Seeing as this doesn't happen with RAW I'd suspect the in-camera JPG processing.
This pattern repeats itself every 8 pixels, that's one heck of a nice computer number for ya (2 to the power of 3, also happens to be the length of one bit).
Have you tried adjusting the JPG quality to see what happens? It might be that adjusting the quality causes the processing to skip a process or do it differently which could make the problem disappear.
If that doesn't help you could also try to upgrade the firmware... If there's a software problem somewhere it might be fixed that way.

I'll ask my dad if he has an idea tomorrow, his job is hard-core image processing (like automatically analyzing security-camera footage kind of processing). He might just have some more ideas.
However, if a firmware update won't work I'm thinking this might be a problem you can't fix which would mean sending it back to Nikon for repairs or replacement.

Seeing as the flash is visible in the image I'm going make the wild assumption that the flash was fired remotely.
I would like to see a remote flash frying up a camera because of full-current discharge. ;)

This looks like a mighty fine in-camera processing problem to me.
Seeing as this doesn't happen with RAW I'd suspect the in-camera JPG processing.
This pattern repeats itself every 8 pixels, that's one heck of a nice computer number for ya (2 to the power of 3, also happens to be the length of one bit).
Have you tried adjusting the JPG quality to see what happens? It might be that adjusting the quality causes the processing to skip a process or do it differently which could make the problem disappear.
If that doesn't help you could also try to upgrade the firmware... If there's a software problem somewhere it might be fixed that way.

I'll ask my dad if he has an idea tomorrow, his job is hard-core image processing (like automatically analyzing security-camera footage kind of processing). He might just have some more ideas.
However, if a firmware update won't work I'm thinking this might be a problem you can't fix which would mean sending it back to Nikon for repairs or replacement.

Remember that the Vivitar 283 has an off-flash sensor that connects to the camera's Hot Shoe and can be used remotely, AND dump the whole capacitor through the camera. The sensor unplugs from the flash, plugs into a special shoe that goes on the camera, and the cord plugs into the socket of the flash. The capacitor dumps through the cord, into the camera. Never put your finger over the PC socket of the camera if it has both a hot shoe and PC socket.

Send me your camera, and I will arrange for a Demo.

Last edited:
Mine said: No EXIF data.

Thumbnails don't have EXIF data....... click on them to enlarge the original images.

Most reactions

Back