Why would anyone want a 5D (original)?

I still shoot a 5D quite often. Current used price around here is about $900. The larger sensor's ISO performance is excellent from base level all the way to 1600, and 3200 is not too bad either. The image quality is better than that out of the 7D, in my opinion; the images just look "better"--especially at ISO values of 400 to 1600, where the 7D lacks richness of color more and more and more as the ISO levels go up. I'm not impressed with the image quality of the 7D color-wise...the images that body creates look washed out and weak to me, compared to any number of other cameras. The body it has is fine...but the sensor, not so much.

Where the full-frame sensor really comes into play is the restoring of the angle of view of ALL lenses placed on the body; crop-sensor d-slrs were always just a compromise, and always will be. The larger format of a FF sensor means less depth of field per angle of view, and the bigger sensor delivers an image that to me, simply looks "better" than that from a sensor that is a puny little 329 square millimeters in size...a FF Canon has a sensor that is 864 square millimeters in size...the difference is "substantial". In several different ways. Nikon currently has SIX full-frame camera models on the market: D3s,D3x, D4,D800,D800e,D700...why do you suppose that might be????

Remember, in general, we really do not need them. It is the desire, not the need. I can come up with a lot of reasons for me to buy an item, but most important reason is ..... that make me a happier person (at least in the beginning LOL :D).

I love this statement! Thanks for the nice outlook on such a common behavior.

This is what it can do at iso3200

497393657_H2BxH-L.jpg

First post on here, and funny enough I just bought a 5D classic yesterday to be my first full frame. I had a Rebel XT for a while, then got a T3i, and then yesterday I took advantage of the cheap prices of the 5D. I've only snapped 100 or so images, but I was blown away after just a few. Certainly no comparison between it and my T3i (or my friend's 60D for that matter). I can't see myself shooting anything but full frame after this.

First post on here, and funny enough I just bought a 5D classic yesterday to be my first full frame. I had a Rebel XT for a while, then got a T3i, and then yesterday I took advantage of the cheap prices of the 5D. I've only snapped 100 or so images, but I was blown away after just a few. Certainly no comparison between it and my T3i (or my friend's 60D for that matter). I can't see myself shooting anything but full frame after this.

Welcome! You are officially hooked!! :)

I don't get the thread title...

It seems you have answered your own question...

In fact.. i have no idea why people buy entry level Canon... oh i know... gazzilion megapixel.. video.. brand new.

If I had to start over, I would have bought 5D right away. I dont mind losing video, gazillion pixel and live view.

In fact.. i have no idea why people buy entry level Canon... oh i know... gazzilion megapixel.. video.. brand new.

If I had to start over, I would have bought 5D right away. I dont mind losing video, gazillion pixel and live view.

ME NEITHER! I shot straight up 5D1 today, and it was pretty nice to leave the Mark II out of the mix. Fast import to LR, the AF actually works surprisingly well for contrast detect, and the images were clean. (Plus, I only had to import one memory card!)

I actually would have a hard time doing away with live-v.iew now after getting so used to it. Pretty much any time the camera is on a tripod it's in live-view for me.

Right that's it - new month and if no one buys my 150mm its a 5D...

I'm noticing a pattern here too - no one buying my 150mm is resulting in me investing in other format sizes!

If you're willing to go film instead overread, eos 3's are going for about $200 now. That's probably what I'm going to get. It was just one model under canons last film flagship and had nearly all the same features other than the fps. Although $200 isn't cheap you're taking basically a pro camera.

Last edited:
I have seriously considered film - for the same price as the 5D I can get a top of the range 35mm film camera. This will give me the much better AF and build quality as well as features of a top end, not just high-end midrange camera. The downside is its film.
I've not got a background in film at all and my shooting process very much involves histograms and such for helping confirm an exposure. Plus I have to factor in the additional costs of getting film and having it processed - plus learning to work with a single ISO per 35 shots (since as far as I know the 35mm canons did not support interchangeable backs at all).

Just get it! It is like 12.1 MP. It is about the same resolution as a D700. It has been the big advantage of going with Canon, go full frame in less than $1000 before the 5D III even came out. What full frame can you get on a Nikon for $800?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back