Wich Tripod are you using or Want?

SandShots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a couple of tripods and looking to purchase anotherone.
these are a couple of yrs old.

Looking for something to use out on the field. It has to be lightweight and easy to fold and carry. Seen some Bogen and Monfroto's but wanted to see whay you guys are using or recommend.

Can't go wrong with Bogen/Manfrotto.

For light weight but strong, look for carbon fiber legs.

The head is a personal choice...I'd like to use a pistol grip ball head, rather than the cheap ball head that I have now.

I've got the Bogen/Manfroto 3021 BPRO legs and the 322RC2 pistol grip ball head. I paid around ~$300 for it last year and I think it was worth every penny. I'm not sure if they still make this tripod or if it's been updated. It's not very light, but it is sturdy and I don't hike w/ it or anything like that though.

I bought mine on ebay early this year. I can't say they are lightweight, but they are build like a tank -- solid as a rock:

I paid:

Bogen 3021 Tripod : $102.50 (I think the new version is called the 055)
Gitzo G1377M Professional Ball Head: $89.00 ($247.00 new from B&H) -- supports 17.5 lbs. - this head weighs almost 2 pounds
Gitzo 1387 QR Clamp/Plate: $71.00 ($115 new from B&H)

You can't go wrong with a 3021 and there are always lots of them on ebay, but I sure wish I could afford Carbon Fiber!

The Gitzo QR clamp is way overkill for what I use for glass, and you can get a new Giotto for about $50. I put one of those on my Bogen monopod. Extra plates are about $30

Last edited:
I'm using the Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 322RC2 head. It isn't light, but it gets the job done. I'd like to go Carbon Fibre if I do any serious hiking.

It doesn't have to be super light but light enough to easily carry around and work with. dont get me wrong, it needs some weight to be steardy and not tipsy. thanks for the responses. It makes for good conversation.;)

I use a Sunpak 8001 UT

Actually, this is an interesting topic. I would have to say that the price of a good set of tripod legs and the price of a good head took me totally by surprise! When I look at that Gitzo head, I still can't believe they want almost $250 for it new.

someday I might have a use for the wimberley!

at the moment :
Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 322RC2 is my main setup - though I do have a mnafrotto 3 way head that I use when I want landscape panoramas or want to work low to the ground with the tripod (and know in advance about this - as opposed to walking and freegrabbing which is when the 322 comes into use)

3021 Legs (black)
488RC4 head becuase I occasionally shoot medium format and I bought the combination intending to never have to buy a new tripod again because it's not strong enough. I wanted it to be the last tripod i'd ever need to buy for a very very long time.

I've also used a 4x5 on it and although it wasn't ideal, it got the job done!

I have an inexpensive Triopo C-158 tripod. I've recently added the Manfrotto 322RC2 head to replace the cheap ball head that I started with.

Legs
Manfrotto 055XPROB

Heads
Manfrotto 488RC4
Manfrotto 322RC2

I spent a week in the mountains looking for waterfalls last fall. With tripod and camera bag plus water bottles, I was carrying ~28lbs. I was tired at the end of the day, but it can be done.

Very sturdy kit IMO. One note worth mentioning, I found the 488 head did creep a bit with heavy lens when at acute angles.

Most reactions

Back