Wide angle converter

BEEF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all, yes I am a Newbie to this forum. I have a Nikon D5000 and use a afs 18-200 pretty much for every day stuff. I was conned into buying this Digital Advance wide converter w/Macro.48x 72. It screws on my to my 18-200. The problem is every time I use it, it gives this ring around the outside edges of all my shots. How do I correct this?

Can you post an example picture of the ring? Do you notice if the ring only occurs at low focal length?

1) do not use it.
2) see if it will work with longer focal length settings.

The issue with #2 is that the widening effect at longer focal length settings on the zoom will definitely be inferior optically to what can be had without the converter on, and second, the wideness of the view at a longer focal length will probably be matchable with the converter thrown in the rubbish bin, and the lens set to a short length.

It's possible that you might find a few creative, gimmicky, FUN-TYPE uses for this device...once in a great while. But for normal use, these things are just an accessory kit padding device, used mostly in "package deals" put together by borderline (sketchy) dealers

Correct it by purchasing a real lens and use the adapter as a paperweight or doorstop.

Thanks Sparky but I really was more into getting answers. Not all of us have your money to spend.

Once again, can we see an example of the ring? Also - do you only notice it in the lower focal ranges (like the 18mm).

I'm wondering what it might look like fitted to a smaller-diameter lens, using a step-ring. Not everything is always about ultra-high optical quality. It might look acceptable on something smaller-fronted, with a 52 or 55 or 58mm front thread. Fotodiox, or e-Bay, have lots of step rings available cheaply.

I'm afraid Derrel is likely to be right. You'll find the wide angle bit of it rather useless, as your existing lens is wider than it's designed to work with. Zooming in will correct the vignetting but will also reduce how wide an image you get. Some of the models I've used don't go as wide as my kit lenses. These adapters were often designed for standard view 50mm lenses, and these days are only really of use for fixed lens cameras.
I do have a more expensive 0.8x version that works OK mounted on a 28mm equivalent lens, but it's heavy enough I rarely use it.

The macro part of the adapter might be usable for you and will work better at long focal lengths.

Give the macro part a go, and if it doesn't suit you try selling it - but don't expect more than $10. :(

yeah, the macro portion may be sort of okay-ish, but the wide angle converter likely will cause major problems until you get to around 35mm, at which point it would be a lower quality version of your 18mm without it

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
for the love of god, please tell me you didnt spend over $100 on one of these things:

Amazon.com Digital Professional Lens Digital Pro HD Series .48x58mm DSLR MC AF Professional High Speed Auto Focus Deluxe Super Wide Angle lens With Macro Slr Camera Lenses Camera Photo

let me rephrase that: for the love of god, please tell me you didnt spend over $10 on one of these things.

1 New for $859.99?

Day-Um!
It's got that red band tho

Who remembers the 2012 thread about the Axer "brand" converters being sold at retail in tourist port of call cities, down near where cruise ship passengers come ashore?

Axer Lens Scam Ripoff . Run Quick Friend Ripped Off Photography Forum

They maintain a web page with these things prices now at over $1,300...then store clerks push at unsuspecting, naive customers, offering them huge "discounts"...the name brand is so,so specific that a quick smartphone product lookup yields BOOM...a page showing the mark that the "lens" retails at $1,300 to $1,199--but of course, there is the discount "Magnetic Titanium Series" model at $795...

Oh yea, I was in San Francisco and walked into a Photo shop and they saw me coming. The thing is, these guys made a website with the items they have and have huge price tags on them. They show that to you on their phone then tell you they will give it to you half price.. I should turn them in to the Better Business Bureau .DIGITAL ADVANCE there is nowhere to buy these here. I didn't even get any lube!!!

there's nothing illegal about it--you willing gave them money for a product.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back