wide angle lens rental - which? where?

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I am going to vacation to dominican republic in 3 weeks. I plan to shoot a LOT there. One thing I am interested in are wide angle pictures of beach, sea and palm trees. i've been in that resort before and I know there is a huge potential for stricking sunsets or sunrises to be captured

i will have my XSI with me, a travel tripod, a 50mm prime and my everyday lens - sigma 18-200.

i am thinking of renting a wide angle lens, either Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 or
The Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5

First will be wide angle, but slower and not as sharp as canon

I don't have any experience shooting with wide-angle lens, so I don't have an opinion of my own or a preference, I will rely on your posts here, so which one should I get?

and what is a reputable place to rent it from?

Thansk in advance

Speed (max aperture) usually isn't an issue with wide angle lenses, not nearly as much as with telephoto lenses anyway....you can hand hold them at rather slow shutter speeds.

Check out this site http://prophotorental.com

I have the Canon and it's a fantastic lens.

I was going to reccomend pro photo rental as well. I had a great experience with them. highly recommended.

I just picked up a rugged box from my porch! there was a very nice looking lens there and a return label. I expected it on Tuesday, but I guess noone else booked it

If you haven't already, you may want to also invest in a circular polarizer filter, a neutral density and possibly a Grad ND filter for those sunrises/sunsets.

Just a thought. Don't forget to post photos on your return. Good luck.

The reason you got it early was because he normally sends it the day before the rental period starts so you get all the time with the lens you paid for, and if your period starts on a monday then you receive it two days earlier. So maybe no one needed it on monday and he just decided to give you a little bonus!

well, I came back - unfortunately with development of tourism in Dominican Republic, scenery became out of reach for me - the surrounding areas were all hotels and resorts and I had no time to travel far. I did go to an excursion to the capital city, so I got to use the lens after all a bit:

8957-vi.jpg

9030-vi.jpg

For my APS-C sensor bodys, this is the only EF-S lens I have ever and will ever by. IT is incredible, however I find at 10mm the images badly need DXO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back