• Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there is info on this *everywhere* but I've read it all and still am having trouble making up my mind, so any info would be much appreciated.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens to compliment my 35mm prime and 70-300 telephoto. I've narrowed it down to Tokina's 12-24mm and Sigma's 10-20mm. They are similar in price (about $400 for the Tokina and $440 for the Sigma). The Tokina 11-16mm gets great reviews, but I feel like the range is too short for a walk-around lens and it is about $200 more expensive. I do not have a grand for the Nikon equivalent.

The decision... the extra 2mm on the wide end or 4mm on the long end? Since it is a jump to my 35mm lens, I would be using this as my primary lens for everyday shooting, people photos, etc and expect to use the long end as well as the wide end.

I'm leaning towards the Tokina 12-24mm since it is less expensive, fixed aperture, faster, and gets great reviews on build quality and optics. Right now that is what I'm planning on getting. But those 2mm on the Sigma keep me guessing...

What do you think, am I making the right choice?

Thanks!
Scott

The Sigma gets great reviews from what I've seen, almost as good as the Canon 10-22. Since you're on Nikon, that rules out the Canon.

Keep in mind the Sigma 10-20 has two versions, one with a variable aperture and one that's fixed (I think at f/3.5) throughout the zoom range. I don't know if there's a difference in image quality between the two, but I can't imagine it would be very significant.

It's not really a walk-around focal length.. and neither is the 12-24 imo. Even 24mm on a 1.5x crop is only about the same as a 35mm lens on a full-frame. If you want something a little more versatile, check out the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 for DX or a cheaper alternative: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I have the Tamron and it's a very capable little lens (with a noisy robocop-esque autofocus motor).

The fixed aperture sigma is much more expensive though I believe. I used to own the Tokina and it was a fantastic lens.

I've rented both lenses to decide which one I wanted. I believe the Tokina has a much better build quality, It felt more solid then the sigma. After using both for a weekend I chose to order the tokina. In fact, its due to arrive today!

It's not really a walk-around focal length.. and neither is the 12-24 imo. Even 24mm on a 1.5x crop is only about the same as a 35mm lens on a full-frame. If you want something a little more versatile, check out the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 for DX or a cheaper alternative: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I have the Tamron and it's a very capable little lens (with a noisy robocop-esque autofocus motor).

I do agree, not really walk-around versattile. But I'd think I'd usually carry the 35mm to pair up with the wide lens, so that would give me a 35mm long range, more than enough for me. So not really a walk-around lens, but a walk around pair of lenses... ;)

The fixed aperture sigma is much more expensive though I believe. I used to own the Tokina and it was a fantastic lens.

Yeah, its a 3.5 fixed aperture, but it runs over $600 I think, not worth the extra $200 imo...

I've rented both lenses to decide which one I wanted. I believe the Tokina has a much better build quality, It felt more solid then the sigma. After using both for a weekend I chose to order the tokina. In fact, its due to arrive today!

Thanks! Nice to have some feedback from someone who has recently compared both side by side...

Congrats on the new lens purchase!!

I have the Sigma and love that lens.

I vote for the Tokina. They are built rock solid. They do have a reputation for being a little soft wide open (many of their lenses). But I have an 11-16 and would not trade it for anything out there at the moment. I have had and currently have a problem with Sigma made lenses. Just have not had much luck with them.

I do agree that a 12-24 is not much of a walk around lens. But if your looking for something wide. 12mm on a crop sensor is a good start.

I have the 12-24 F4 and i love it, for 1/3 of the price of the fixed F4 nikon lens, its totally worth it,

built like a rock and perform like the nikon one except a 12mm wide open but for the price difference its not worth it. i tried both before buying it and i couldnt see that much difference.

Depends on the shooting your doing but i think its a great vacation lens. Distortion is pretty low at 12 which you can correct really easily . The good thing about the tokina is the 0 distortion at 24 which is a great focal lenght for quick portrait.

I have the 12-24 F4 and i love it, for 1/3 of the price of the fixed F4 nikon lens, its totally worth it,

built like a rock and perform like the nikon one except a 12mm wide open but for the price difference its not worth it. i tried both before buying it and i couldnt see that much difference.

Depends on the shooting your doing but i think its a great vacation lens. Distortion is pretty low at 12 which you can correct really easily . The good thing about the tokina is the 0 distortion at 24 which is a great focal lenght for quick portrait.

Thanks for the review, I appreciate the great feedback. I agree with the vacation comment, landscapes and indoor photos I'd expect it to be quite handy.

Ben, rereading my original post, I think saying "walk around lens" was confusing. What I meant was, a lot of people say they really only use the wide end of their wide angle lenses, but since I don't have mid-zoom, I expect to use the range on the long end as well.

My birthday is on March 13th, so this is my birthday present in two weeks!

Thanks again everyone!
Scott

What I meant was, a lot of people say they really only use the wide end of their wide angle lenses

i agree with this. i have a 17-55 and every time i use it to shoot landscape i wish i had something wider.
i LOVE the 17-55 as a true walk around lens but for landscape... wider is better.

i'm not convinced faster is better.. for landscape. presuming you'd be using a tripod.

i own the tokina 11-16. i can attest to its build quality and performance. Good stuff

Well, my lens arrived today. Did a quick walk just to try it out, figured I'd post you a pic of it in action.
5491172548_e87c53de27_z.jpg
[/url]
_DSC0012 by rockstarrphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Eh, I use my UWA when I want UWA photos, dont ever intend for it to be a walk around, so my Tokina 11-16s range doesnt bother me at all which is what Id recommend, I just took it out the other morning and that thing is CRAZY sharp... the 100% crop on my XSi was just rediculous and the build is extremely solid. But.. since thats not an option, Id go with the 10-20 based solely on focal length, cuz like I said before... when you want an ultra wide angle, use an ultra wide angle.. and the difference between 10 and 12 is more than slight.

Most reactions

Back