Wide angle lens suggestions?

Which wide angle lens would you choose?

• Tokina 12-24mm f/4

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Well, my lens arrived today. Did a quick walk just to try it out, figured I'd post you a pic of it in action.
5491172548_e87c53de27_z.jpg
[/url]
_DSC0012 by rockstarrphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for the picture! Is that at 12mm? I can't really see any visible distortion on the pole, but I suppose wide angles are worst in the sides, still impressive.

Thanks again everyone! Just ordered the Tokina 12-24mm today, can't wait to use it!

Update your sig :) I voted for the Tok.

I had the same decision to make when I got mine, I decided on the 10-20 b/c if I'm going to go wide ... I'm going WIDE!

5490418447_2fd6222ed2_b.jpg

I had the same decision to make when I got mine, I decided on the 10-20 b/c if I'm going to go wide ... I'm going WIDE!

Haha! I know what you mean... I think I'd be happy with either lens, since it will be my first ultrawide lens... but honestly all the lens qc stories scared me away from the Sigma (there's a bunch on Amazon and other threads)... plus it is about $100 more. So I'd want to buy it from a local store in case I need to take it back, so that would make it cost even more, so I landed on the Tokina, hopefully no regrets!

The sigma is wider, it has that, but The tokina has a fixed aperture, better optics (imo), and better build quality. Ive held each lens in a hand side by side, the tokina is heavier and feels like a much better build quality then the sigma. Although, if your a backpacker trying to cut weight that may not be what your looking for either. lol

Geaux's photos shows the Sigma to be a good performer, but I would choose the Tokina for the f4. IMO 12mm is plenty wide enough and 24mm is on both APS-C and FF an excellent focal length choice for documentary (~36mm). The Tokina lenses I have handled have felt very solid / heavy and the SD zoom I owned had wonderful contrast and color. I thought I had seen a side-by-side comparison of these two lenses but I remember now it was a Tamron and the Sigma.

Does anyone know if the tokina 11-16 would work on nikon film cameras?

I'm not sure, but I would assume no because they do not have an aperture ring. But, I don't really know much about film cameras anymore.

I'm not sure, but I would assume no because they do not have an aperture ring. But, I don't really know much about film cameras anymore.
poop. I am looking for some sweet wide angles for my film camera. Ive used a 24mm, which i really love, but I want to go wider! Is the nikon 20mm the widest they go for film?

poop. I am looking for some sweet wide angles for my film camera. Ive used a 24mm, which i really love, but I want to go wider! Is the nikon 20mm the widest they go for film?

Not sure, again, I don't know much about film cameras so double check with someone more knowledgeable. I shot with film back in the 90's and of course, the lenses had the aperture ring. Unless your camera can adjust that without the ring i don't see how it could work BUT I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. all i know is i can still use my old lenses with my digital, don't know about the other way around FOR SURE.

They will mount, some will work though, all have vignetting at the wide end.

See this site:
Digital Wide Zooms: Film Cameras

Most reactions

Back