Wide angle lenses

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have narrowed it down to 5 choices, but user reviews will only go so far. Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences out of these 5? It will be used on a DX body, so I'm thinking the 14-24 may not be the best choice.

Thanks for any input, here are the lenses:

Tokina | 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus | ATX116PRODXN

Nikon | 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor AF Lens | 2144

Nikon | AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF Lens | 2163 | B&H

Sigma | 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens | 201306 | B&H

or something simple like this:
Sigma | 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Macro Lens for Nik | 582-306

Last edited:
More user reviews?

I'd like to get opinions on which out of the 4 would best suit the need for a wide angle lens on a DX body. I don't want to only read reviews of people trying to justify their purchases.

I have the Tokina in a Canon mount and love it. I appreciate what the faster glass can do for both sports and landscape photography. It is probably the sharpest ultra wide on the market today from my experience and from several reviews that I have read. Good luck.

any reason the sigma 10-20 was left off the list?
just curious...as ive heard nothing but great things about that lens.

I had that one in mind, not sure why I left it off. I'll edit the first post and add that one. The thing that bothers me about that lens is that it's f/4-5.6. I was trying to stick with f/2.8 or f/4 at the highest.

I had that one in mind, not sure why I left it off. I'll edit the first post and add that one. The thing that bothers me about that lens is that it's f/4-5.6. I was trying to stick with f/2.8 or f/4 at the highest.

i hear ya...the nikkor 14-24 would be sick, but man what a pricetag. (and like you said, on a crop youre looking at 21mm equiv)

i guess the good middle ground with width and speed would be the tokina.
if i had the loot that might be my pick. little over 100 more than the sigma, but much improved speed

i hear ya...the nikkor 14-24 would be sick, but man what a pricetag. (and like you said, on a crop youre looking at 21mm equiv)

i guess the good middle ground with width and speed would be the tokina.
if i had the loot that might be my pick. little over 100 more than the sigma, but much improved speed

It would be nice to have but it won't be worth the money on a DX body.

I will note that I have never had speed issues with my Sigma. I usually stop it down pretty far to take advantage of the incredible depth of field. I don't often use it for moving targets in reduced light and I do most landscape work on a tripod. I can, however, reliably hand-hold it at pretty slow shutter speeds as well (I've had good results at 1/20 sec). Although a faster lens might be nice for some applications, I'm not sure it's worth the additional cost in a UWA.

I will note that I have never had speed issues with my Sigma. I usually stop it down pretty far to take advantage of the incredible depth of field. I don't often use it for moving targets in reduced light and I do most landscape work on a tripod. I can, however, reliably hand-hold it at pretty slow shutter speeds as well (I've had good results at 1/20 sec). Although a faster lens might be nice for some applications, I'm not sure it's worth the additional cost in a UWA.

That's true. How's the Sigma quality?

That's true. How's the Sigma quality?

Outstanding IQ and built well. I absolutely love this lens.

_MG_6465.jpg

walkway.jpg

avshadow.jpg

Great, thanks!

Anyone else have anything for these lens choices?

I have the Tokina 11-16 in Nikon flavor and although my wife has claimed it and I don't get to use it that much. I am very pleased by the results. The nice thing about the f/2.8 is most lenses are best a couple stops up from wide open. With the slower lenses your up to f/8 or even f/11. Where the Tokina is very good at f/5.6. Of course they are do well at all of the ranges, but if you want the sweet spot. You need to come up from wide open. And with it being a faster lens, you still get good low light performance and still be at or very close to the lens sweet spot.

The lens is also built like a tank. No worries at all about it feeling too plasticy and breakable. Very happy with it so far after almost half a year with it.

Now having said that. Sigma did a revamp on their 10-20mm and made it a little bit faster. But I have not heard or seen any reviews on it yet.

They are backordered right now. I was thinking about grabbing one of these lenses before next weekend because I have an off-road trip with a bunch of guys from another forum. That eliminates the Tokina unless they get them back in stock in the next few days.

I am surprised no one has said anything about the Nikkor 12-24. Is it not a good lens? Since the Tokina is backordered, which lens is better between the Nikkor 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20?

I don't know much about the Nikkor, but on a crop-sensor camera the difference between 10mm and 12mm is significant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back