Wide angle macro?

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone ever done wide angle macro? It looks really interesting to try oneday. I didn't think anything below 50mm would work using extension tubes from what I understood. If you have done it beore can you share what gear you used.

There are some great pictures below in the link:
Wide view macro - Images | Solvin Zankl photography

You might not be able to get actual 1:1 macro with a wide angle lens, but you can get pretty neat looking results using extension tubes and some wide angle lenses. The problem with extension tubes is that you lose the ability to focus to inifinity and it decreases the minimum focus distance. On ultra wide angle lenses such as fisheyes the minimum focus distance is already pretty short so adding extension tubes basically puts the focus distance, both min and max inside the lens.

I've used extension tubes on an 18-55mm kit lens with pretty good results. I'll toss some on my Sigma 10-22mm when I get home to see if they work and I'll let you know the results. I know I tried it before, but I honestly can't remember if they worked with that lens or not.

If it is possible to get 1:1 with a wide-angle I imagine the minimum focus distance you'd need for that is crazy small...
You'll probably nearly have to touch the subject to get it in focus. xD

I don't know what lens the photographer used in the link provided but the results IMO are great. I wonder what the minimum focusing distance was on his setup because he got close enough for the pictures but not too close to scare away the subjects.

Retro-Focus Wide-angle lenses used with a reversing ring allow decent working distances to the subject, the Nikkor 24/2.8 was a favorite for reversed-use. It's been a long time since I've done it.

Examples are nice and technique interesting. I did a quick test with an old 28/2.8+ tube (the shortest I have), and I ended touching the subject. Maybe some even shorter tube...
I did also a test without tube and adding, ehm, a 0.42x converter (extra cheap... I know, it's not serious, I bought it time ago on Ebay for very few money, and never used). this is a quick trial at home:

Very interesting. My favorite spot to go insect hunting wouldn't lend well to this type of macro. Would be fun though I'm the fields to get to my favorite spot though.

Could one use a larger medium for this? I'm not sure what the widest focal length lens capable of 1:1 focusing would be for large or ultra large formats. Wouldn't this be the best way about it? In my head I'm imagining a 8x10 view camera with 40-50mm lens that will focus to 1:1 shot at F64. Possible?

I use a reversed 28 Ai lens on me bellows all the time.

Most reactions

Back