Wide angle

MWG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm searching for a wide angle lens for my canon t1i guys. I want to keep it reasonable but I will spend around $800 max. I know that since I have a crop cam Im gonna need to go low if I want that ultra wide feel. A few of the lenses I have my eyes on are:

Canon 17-40 f/4l
Sigma 20 f/1.8
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

I know the tamron isnt a true wide angle but It around the size I'm looking for. I'm new to photography but I'm starting to catch onto techniques, and I'm throwing in my own style into it. Having a blast for sure. I really enjoy taking pictures of landscapes, buildings, and nature. I would like to get a wide angle that is versatile, if there is such a thing. I'm also gonna buy a canon 50 mm 1.8 to go with my wide angle. Any comments guys and girls?

I got the Tokina today, love it! Also love my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8.

Main blog link in my sig has a post from today with samples from the Tokina.

Personally I am thinking about getting the Sigma 12-24mm, which is a lens for a full frame, on a 1.6X crop factor such as the T1i it gives 20mm on the wide end, I heard it has low barrel distortion at the wide end and it is very sharp. Plus if you ever got a full frame camera it can be used on it.

The Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Sigma 20 f/1.8/ Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, on a T1i will not be Ultra wide, the Tokina will. Also another lens to consider is the new Sigma crop lens 8-16mm which will give you a 12mm FOV (35mm equivalent).

I bought the Tokina 11-16. I read many comparisons of other UWA lenses against it and it always seemed to come out on top. I get mines tomorrow :D

Personally I am thinking about getting the Sigma 12-24mm

You know.. at first I disagreed but that's really not a bad idea. OP wants to take landscapes, nature, buildings photos... that lens would be great. You said it was a full frame lens and I had to look it up before I believed it.. I thought the widest full frame lens was the 14mm prime or Nikon 14-24(?) zoom.

It's not cheap but it wouldn't be a bad investment.. especially if you went full-frame at some point.

Thanks man!

I'm gonna check them out.

Are you professional? Or an enthusiast? Do you think your tokina will be used alot?

Basically what I'm getting at is I want a wide angle, but I want something versatile at the same time. Its possibly that I'm just a newb to photography lol. My head is going in 5 different directions, just when I decide on going wide angle another part of me is saying to get the canon 17-55 f/2.8 is or the canon 24-105 f/4l is. But I want something faster than an f/4. Lol see what I'm saying. Then another part of my wants to get 3 primes. 50 1.6, 24 2.8, and 85 1.8.

I know I sound confused as hell lol.

If anyone can tell what the best bang for buck is, that would be great. I just want a couple opinions. I'm leaning towered getting the canon 17-40 f/4l and the canon 50 1.8.

You know.. at first I disagreed but that's really not a bad idea. OP wants to take landscapes, nature, buildings photos... that lens would be great. You said it was a full frame lens and I had to look it up before I believed it.. I thought the widest full frame lens was the 14mm prime or Nikon 14-24(?) zoom.

It's not cheap but it wouldn't be a bad investment.. especially if you went full-frame at some point.

I just sold my Sigma 12-24. It was my favorite lens of all.

I just sold my Sigma 12-24. It was my favorite lens of all.

Canon mount or Nikon mount? Crop or full frame?

Cannot wait till I get rid of my A700 and get a Canon 50D + the Sigma 12-24mm.

Looks like I scarred everyone off lol

Last edited:
I know this isnt on the list but i just got the canon 10-22mm and its awesome :)

Ok I have made somewhat of a breakthrough lawls.

Im pretty sure I'm gonna go with the canon ef-s 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 usm with a prime lens on the side. I'm leaning towards something smaller than a 50mm since I'm shooting a 1.6x.

Lol I just saw your post.

Ok I have made somewhat of a breakthrough lawls.

Im pretty sure I'm gonna go with the canon ef-s 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 usm with a prime lens on the side. I'm leaning towards something smaller than a 50mm since I'm shooting a 1.6x.

Lol I just saw your post.

I was just going to suggest the 10-22mm lens :hugs:

Ok guys. I got the canon 10-22 and also got the tamron 28-75 to with it!

And.... where are the pics? ;)

imo, if you are going to go wide, go WIDE!

Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20

Sample picture from my new Sigma 10-20

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5290/5362079269_2874614ec8_z.jpg

I have a friend who owns the Tokina and said he uses it majority of the time on his camera. It's tack sharp (which is unlike the Sigma -- post sharpening is needed, at least in my case).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back