Wide lens recommendation

Going to say how did the Tamron 15-30mm not get a mention but I saw you're on a budget that wouldn't include it.

It is a brilliant lens though. I sold my Nikon 14-24mm to purchase it and couldn't be happier.

My new photography buddy from the local club I joined suggested this. He loves it and it is reasonable in price. Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR Nikkor Lens

For ultra wide, he suggests this and said if you look hard enough you can get a good one under a grand. Nikkor 16-35 f4
AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR from Nikon

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I used to own the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR
Excellent lens, replaced it with the 24-70mm 2.8G
So as you se I have 24mm lens and to be honest its not wide enough.
Nikon 16-35mm f4 is a good lens but might be a bit outside my budget

He is at my house and said to check for a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC. He said make sure it is a UMC and not a MC....He said that sigma you were looking at is good IF you get a good copy. He said something about getting a good copy used is tough. I told him to join here but he is not into internet and the like.
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Nikon with AE FE14MAF-N
The lens looked interesting, excellent across the board and very good price and then it hit me, its manual focus, I dont do manual focus, too blind for that :(

Speaking of the Samyang and Rokinon...not to mention if you ever wanted to get rid of it, you won't be able to get any $ out of it. I won't make that mistake again.

If you can, share a review of your new 12-24mm lens!
All my best!!
I have posted a new thread on the new lens, just a quick first impression and I couldnt be happier, it really is an expensive lens new but somehow it fell under the radar as it seems like not a lot of people talk about this lens.
I think probably what keeps away some people from this lens is the fact its a rather slow lens but for what I paid used for it I think its an insanly good buy.
I dont think you will find a wider zoom lens, optically its excellent, pictures are very sharp and distortion is minimal considering how wide this lens is.
Well build and isnt as big or heavy as the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8G

I think the fact that there are none on auction on ebay means the people that own this lens keep it which is another good sign.
There is "Buy It Now" but from my experience people that post lenses on buy it now are mostly deallers while regular users will tend more to put their photography equipment as auction.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back