Wide lens

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Just considering to buy a wide lens of 10-20 Sigma.
Currently I have wide up to 18-55 Canon kit lens.
Is it worth going wider from 18 to 10 ?
Does anyone have some comparative pics to show the same scene with different lenses to understand extra coverage?
Thanks
Ketan

Is it worth going wider from 18 to 10 ?

Yes the difference in coverage is huge. On an EOS 30D the diagonal angle of view at 18mm is about 73 degrees and it is around 106 degrees at 10mm.

Does anyone have some comparative pics to show the same scene with different lenses to understand extra coverage?

Go to the Tamron website and have a look at their lens selector tool to have an idea of the effect of various focal lenghts on angles of view.

You will be amazed with the difference the 10-20 will make. You can stand to feet away from a building and get the whole thing in the shot. Do a flickr search for Sigma 10-20mm and you can see some examples.

This is a great lens and has many uses. But you have to remeber its not really a "walk around" lens.

Another benefit to this lens is it will make your kit lens feel like a super zoom, haha.

I wish to use it mainly for landscape and architecture. I can spend around $500 on this.
Is there any other distinctive advantage of this lens that I am missing?

I use the sigma 10-20mm, and love it for landscape. The distortion can be a massive help in composition. This same distortion can be a problem shooting architecture. Just keep an eye on what the angle of the lense is doing in relation to square and plumb.

The sigma 10-20 is great aned within your budget. It is also very useful for landscape and architectural work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back