Wierd distortion

marmle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a new lens delivered the other day, a Nikon AF-S 18-200mm for my D5600. I was gutted I could not try it out properly because of the new stay at home rules, but I did manage to get a few shots from outside my front door down my street. I know this pic is not some of my greatest, but when I was going over some of them at 100% I noticed an odd pinching of parts of the window frames. Is this normal for a lens of this type/ price range, or is something else wrong? I was all the way to 200mm on this shot, f/11, 1/200

_DSC0661.jpeg

_DSC0660.jpeg

Last edited:
To me that looks like a classic case of distortion from heat waves coming from the asphalt.

That was my first thought, but I dismissed it because I did not think it hot enough to cause such a noticable effect, but I guess it really is not that noticable.

It doesn't really need to be that warm in order for the ground (especially dark asphalt) to start creating issues with any distance shot.

"Heat mirage" is the term I have heard it called. Atmospheric issues can be a problem in many situations.

Is this normal for a lens of this type/ price range, or is something else wrong?
I wouldn't say it's "normal" for that lens without seeing examples from MANY of that type lens. I would fully expect any good lens to render straight lines, not distorted.

I think you should perform some additional tests by taking photos in different conditions to eliminate any possibility of atmospheric mirage. If you get similar distortion in further testing, then I would seek to return the lens for a refund.

Don’t really know what you’re referring to but I think I’m seeing some pin-cushion effect. I’d read some real reviews on the lens by real reviewers and see if that lens suffers from heavy or even mild pin-cushion! Good luck!
SS

Don’t really know what you’re referring to but I think I’m seeing some pin-cushion effect. I’d read some real reviews on the lens by real reviewers and see if that lens suffers from heavy or even mild pin-cushion! Good luck!
SS
It's not "pincushioning", the lines are "wavy".

SS
It's not "pincushioning", the lines are "wavy".
If he's talking about the verticle lines? Looks like just a crappy glazing to me!!! LoL
My guess is the lens is fine!

I'd walk up to the building and see what those lines actually look like. You might have actually captured them correctly...

I'd walk up to the building and see what those lines actually look like. You might have actually captured them correctly...
Since they're metal extrusions, I would expect them to be absolutely straight. (Not "glazed", IOW)

Since they're metal extrusions, I would expect them to be absolutely straight. (Not "glazed", IOW)

Metal extrusions? They might also be cheap plastic clad windows. It doesn’t take all that much to distort the cheap plastic stuff.
Do you REALLY think it’s a lens optical problem?
My money is the problem is with the windows and not the lens, unless everything that lens shoots is wavy!!!
SS

If he's talking about the verticle lines? Looks like just a crappy glazing to me!!! LoL
I think you're right Sharpshooterr. When I expand the images, all but those window frames look fine.

I think you're right Sharpshooterr. When I expand the images, all but those window frames look fine.

John, we can debate this forever! The OP probably live near those windows and could go up and take a close look at them.
Then we could eliminate or confirm the windows or something else.
How can the horizontals be straight and the verticals be wavy if it was the lens?!
John

It's not the lens, it's heat mirage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back