Wife maternity take two - C&C please

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(Going out on a limb and posting these in the galleries instead of the beginners' section.)

The last attempt I made at maternity shots were rather more like portraits of a pregnant woman. So this time I decided to try something different. I put together a totally ghetto striplight using a cardboard box, aluminum foil, and paper towels as a diffusion material, and took a few shots of my wife.

And yes, I did take some that were more... NSFW... but they will not be posted here (or anywhere else :p).

All comments and critique welcome.

Thanks!

DSC_4731.jpg

I like it... very evocative of motherhood... she looks happy and contemplative! Nice work! Very clean and simple, but strong...

Thank you. :)

Anybody else? I noticed after I uploaded that the light is a touch hot on her belly, so I'll probably burn that a bit.

Anybody else? I noticed after I uploaded that the light is a touch hot on her belly, so I'll probably burn that a bit.

I wouldn't .. the highlight is minimal... and it draws attention to the main reason for the photo.... ( I would suggest making your logo a little less prominent.. it does distract from the photo) :)

I wouldn't .. the highlight is minimal... and it draws attention to the main reason for the photo....

Well that's a good point.

( I would suggest making your logo a little less prominent.. it does distract from the photo) :)

Yeah, I know. I only use the logo for web proofs though, it wouldn't be there if printed, so I'm okay with it being a little distracting. It's always a balance between "what logo?" and "bah get rid of the stupid logo!" :lol:

Very nice - proves that good lighting is more in knowledge than equipment. My only [VERY] minor niggle is that I would prefer to see her fingers more 'together'; as-is, sort of looks like she wasn't sure what to do with them. Well shot!

The fingers look strong to me. Pressing to reach the baby and touch it. Purposeful.

I am not usually a fan of maternity shots but ... this one is great :thumbup:

VERY cool.

I hate maternity pics.
I LOVE this shot.

Definitely better than the last ones but I would up the contrast. This looks too grey to me.

Also don't quite like the way the camisole ends at the bottom. Tried to crop it but it doesn't look right either.

Nice effort though. Keep at it.

I think this is beautiful. It evokes the warm and tender feelings of the subject. As for her fingers, they are just as they should be. Woman spread their fingers over their pregnant bellies. I think it's a protective and comforting response. It's a natural gesture and just right. I like the lighting and wouldn't change it. As for the bottom of the picture, I probably would either clone her shirt a little longer or crop off that tiny bit. Very nice shot, I'm sure she's pleased with it.

Great work. Very striking image. I could see this blown up and put in the baby's room. Surely and image that will be treasured by you and your family.

Very nice. I am a big fan of low key and it works really well with this image. Love the wee bit of detail to pick up the shoulder on the left side of the image.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I read the comment about her fingers to my wife, and she admitted that it's true, she had no idea what to do with them. I wasn't directing her very well either though, apart from telling her where on her belly to put her hands, where to stand and what angle to stand at.

Also, regarding the way the shirt ends near the bottom of the picture, that's a good point, and definitely something I'll watch for in the future. I'd have to double-check but I think I actually cropped the bottom of the photo north a bit, so maybe a little more room down there would make it less distracting (so it's not just a corner)?

Most reactions

Back