What's new

Wifey's Birthday Gift Shot - C&C Requested...

BirdyIsMe

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Location
Tampa, Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm working on some ideas for my wife's birthday. I'd like to take a photo of her her with our daughter, and have it gallery wrapped. I'm trying to do something a little more different/natural than a typical studio shot.

Anyway, thoughts on this shot? C&C on the shot itself is appreciated, as well as your thoughts on how well it'd work as a 24x36" wrap. Thanks!

4423546298_5cd12ba69c_o.jpg
 
I'm usually a big fan of empty space to one side or the other, but this feels strange to me. I think it's usually best to use the larger person as a bookend and have the smaller person on the inside as well. I'm not too excited about the books and papers on the lap either. I do like the colors and exposure.
 
I'd say a tad less space on the left and you'd be set. The shot is very nice itself. Wonderful gift too.
TJ
 
I'm usually a big fan of empty space to one side or the other, but this feels strange to me. I think it's usually best to use the larger person as a bookend and have the smaller person on the inside as well. I'm not too excited about the books and papers on the lap either. I do like the colors and exposure.

I'm not sure what I think about the empty space. I think I like it, but I agree that my daughter being towards the center and my wife being on the far right would be more visually pleasing.

I actually have some shots that don't include the books, but I've chosen to incorporate them, possibly as a way to document this portion of our lives (my wife just left the corporate world and started nursing school).

i think you got this pretty good. it's got a nice vibe about it.

Thank you!

I'd say a tad less space on the left and you'd be set. The shot is very nice itself. Wonderful gift too.
TJ

I'm going to try some different crops. I'm going to have to rework the image to make the 1.5" cutoff on the edges (for the wrap) less intrusive.
 
I think it's usually best to use the larger person as a bookend and have the smaller person on the inside as well.
Also I would line mom up with the rule of third line on the right visually. That way you know how much empty space to have on left.
 
I took a stab at it too, however I didn't crop quite as tight as Bitter did.
201o3q.jpg

Looks like his contrast is a bit higher too.
 
Sometimes we need to think about when not to use the RoT. :thumbup:
 
Hmm have you considered inverting the original image so that the subjects are on the left rather than the right?

My feel is that you really want the bench on the right - then the mother then the child then the empty space - at least if you get a crack at reshooting. That or reverse mother and child in the original aspect with the negative space on the left.
 
I like the empty space on the left, but typically you would want the space to be in the direction the subject is looking ( atleast thats my understanding ) Although they are facing each other, I think the mother is more imposing as well as her facial features are more apparent. So maybe the space would work well if they were facing the other direction. Just my opinion.
 
The empty space really draws your attention away from the subject, and its rather annoying although it is a cute photo
 
Ooops, I just saw you don't like your photos edited. Sorry.

I like the original image. My biggest problems with it are your wife facing right, and the lines of the bench leading off to the right. I see it as two big things leading you off the right. If the right bench end were there, I think that would help.

My logic for my crop is all the horizontal lines, on both sides. Just seems more balanced to me. There is a lot of good stuff in the original though. Just those two things are problematic to my eyes.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom