Wildlife Lens

outdoorfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was really hoping that somebody would be able to help me pick a new lens for my canon rebel t2i. I shoot mainly outdoor landscape and wildlife photography. I was looking for a new wildlife lens with a powerful zoom and good stability so I could shoot without a tripod, preferably not overly expensive as well. I'm very much a beginner so any help would be appreciated!!

The 150-600s are quite popular for wildlife, though their small apertures make them mostly good lighting lenses. Offers from Tamron and Sigma are popular, with the Sigma sport version sitting top of the pile cost and IQ. The Sigma Contemporary is a very popular choice and is a bit cheaper, IQ is on a par with the Tamrons from what I've seen. The Tamron G2 is the latest and mosst expensive option from Tamron, and has an upgraded body and AF tracking though sharpness is on a par with the G1. The G1 is the least expensive option but still a decent lens though it can be a little soft at times. If they are all out of your budget I'd consider an older Sigma 150-500mm, and don't forget you can buy used copies as well to keep costs down.

The Canon f4.5-5.6 100-400 L II is a nice sharp offering from canon, which can be usd with teleconverters as well though it's the most expensive of the lot for the focal length.

^^ I agree with the above. The Sigma 150-500 is an affordable used lens usually around or under $500 USD.

I'd stay away from the older Sigma 150-500 not that great a lens. I say spend more then you think you can afford, because in the long run slowly stepping up the better lens ladder always cost more in the long run.

Thanks for the help but I must admit I am hesitant to spend that much money Would there be options under 500$?

For landscape yes but if you want wildlife no.
Some will try and tell you that a 75-300 will do but it isn't a good quality lens and will leave you wanting.
You could get a used Sigma or Tamron but if they are the first gen versions you may as well get the Canon 400mm F5.6 as it will be sharper even cropped to 600mm. If stabilization is a must then the Sigma and Tamron offerings are the cheapest you will get with a wildlife lens.

Thanks for the help but I must admit I am hesitant to spend that much money Would there be options under 500$?

the better options are save a little more for a 150-600 (Tamron G2 or Sigma)
or a Canon 100-400

I have a 300mm f4 for sale ... on a crop sensor body like yours its reach will be 420 or 480 I think ... and that's without losing a stop of light by using a TC! :)

Anyhoo - check out my buy/sell thread if you'd like! :)

I have the tamron g2 and i love it... i shoot on an 80d.

One of the problems that comes up virtually every time it is asked is what is Wildlife mean to YOU???

In my world wildlife requires nothing less that 400mm with 500 or 600 being even better. If you are using anything less than a 400mm lens to fill you frame with a grizzly, brown bear cougar or moose then you are going to be either a road pizza or lunch.

On the other hand if your talking birds, squirrels, bunnies and such 300mm or even 200mm can work fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back