What's new

Will I regret this tripod purchase?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
6,844
Reaction score
996
Location
Tampa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My current cheapo tripod "droops" when I use my 24-70 lens in portrait mode. Hope I didn't cut myself short. I'll soon have a heavier 70-200 lens.

Last night I ordered from BHPHOTO:

Manfrotto 055CXPRO 3-SECTION TRIPOD - MA055CXPRO3

Manfrotto 322RC2 GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD - MA322RC2

Manfrotto 35" TRIPOD BAG (BLACK) f/3011/21/33 - MA3280B
 
I have pretty much the same setup. But my heaviest lens is my 85 1.4 or my 100mm macro. Watch out for the lil level thats in the ball head falling out. I lost mine. You should glue it in for sure.

I don't have the CF legs either.
 
I've never been a fan of the Grip heads but those legs should work fine for you.
 
Looks like a decent Tripod , I use the straight up and down model of the ballhead (joystick type) , when I mounted my camera on this model you got I was not comfortable with access to my battery pack controls , felt weird. Believe you can move the plate around a little on your model so you may want to look at that as well when you get it. Watch which direction you lean the wieght to if you go vertical as the tripod can tip over, I place the camera toward on leg so the weight is always leaning into the one leg.
-
Shoot well, Joe
 
I don't think many people regret purchasing Manfrotto gear (except for the price).
That tripod may well last for the rest of your photographic life.
 
You will regret paying that price for the bag....I went with another mfg for a bag but yeah, nice selection.
 
The legs are excellent; I use the same set as my light-weight, portable set, but I'm not a fan of the grip-heads either
 
Thank you very much, exactly the input I was hoping for in regards what to be aware of with the products.

Bag and grip-head may go back on the 30 day return program, or might just be tolerated as a lesson learned. Sorta' like my cheapo tripod that may now serve to hold an umbrella and remote flash LoL
 
My current cheapo tripod "droops" when I use my 24-70 lens in portrait mode. Hope I didn't cut myself short. I'll soon have a heavier 70-200 lens.

Last night I ordered from BHPHOTO:

Manfrotto 055CXPRO 3-SECTION TRIPOD - MA055CXPRO3

Manfrotto 322RC2 GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD - MA322RC2

Manfrotto 35" TRIPOD BAG (BLACK) f/3011/21/33 - MA3280B

Depends on what you want to use the tripod for. General field use then the legs are fine. The head will be a pain. A good ball head will be more convenient.

In the studio both will do great. I have a modified 322 that accepts arca swiss QR plates and love it. Quick to use and stable in a stable environment like the studio.

If you plan on using it for heavier gear or longer lenses then the head, and or lens may not be satisfactory.

The 055 legs are a good choice for all around photography with average gear, ie.. a body and 70-200 f2.8 IS or smaller lens. Then kind of things most people will use it for. As for the head, it should be chosen based on what you will most often be using the rig for.
 
I have the 055X legs. Very sound and you won't regret them.

I also bought the 322 head just before I had shoulder surgery for one handed operating. It's a decent head and I don't regret getting it, but it does creep/fail with a heavier rig on it, especially while in portrait orientation. It creeps with a gripped or ungripped D700, 24-70mm f/2.8 and fails with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached. Add an SB-800 and all bets are off. I originally bought a 488 (?) head and it works okay with the heavier stuff, but I think there are better heads available.
 
I have the 055X legs. Very sound and you won't regret them.

I also bought the 322 head just before I had shoulder surgery for one handed operating. It's a decent head and I don't regret getting it, but it does creep/fail with a heavier rig on it, especially while in portrait orientation. It creeps with a gripped or ungripped D700, 24-70mm f/2.8 and fails with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached. Add an SB-800 and all bets are off. I originally bought a 488 (?) head and it works okay with the heavier stuff, but I think there are better heads available.

If you look under the ball collar you will see a large inset hex screw. That is the actual tension adjustment. Tighten it a bit and the creep will disappear. Don't over tighten or you can pretty much lock the thing up.
 
If you look under the ball collar you will see a large inset hex screw. That is the actual tension adjustment. Tighten it a bit and the creep will disappear. Don't over tighten or you can pretty much lock the thing up.
Done and dusted, my friend. It is a difficult fine tune, at least for me. I'd rather take the hit and be at the helm when using the heavier stuff. It's mostly for SPs anyway and I can get by with other lenses on those occassions.
 
Kewl thanks again.

Gryphonslair99, appreciate the heads up about the tension screw. I'm going to make a go of that head. At least for 28-30 days.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom