Will the flash work?

'Daniel'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a way of knowing i a flash will work with my 350D? I don't want to try it out in case I damage the 350D. It's a Hanimex CB2200 if that helps.

I think Big Mike knows the answer to this question. He was helping Ian out a little while ago with a similar question (different flash though)

I think you're supposed to check the voltage of the flash and the camera and make sure they match.... or something like that.

I am not sure what the "trigger" voltage is on the flash but modern cameras can only tolerate about 6 volts. I am not familiar with the Canon flash system, but I think you need to look into if the Canon uses a special flash TTL circuitry for there digital cameras. TTL in film works by reading light reflected off the film surface when the shutter is open. A digital sensor does not reflect nearly as much light as film, so this method does not work. Nikon uses a system where a pre-flash goes off, the camera sets exposure before the shutter opens, then fires the flash and shutter. This happens so fast that you usually will not notice more than one flash. I would imagine Canon does something to read the flash before exposure as well. Now if you want to use a "Auto" flash setting instead of TTL, then you can probable use it.

Thanks John, I think what you said is right although I ddin't really follow it all. I didn't tryi t with auto but did with manual and there seems to be problems where sometimes it would work on slower shutter speeds but on the faster speeeds only part of the screen had picture in, the rest ws black. I dunno if that was a sync thing with the shutter and the flash firing or what. It doesn't matter I most likely will never use it. I don't really like flashes.

Set the shutter speed to 1/60s and that may fix your black parts of the frame. You may have just had the speed set too fast for the flash to sync with.

Daniel said:
I didn't tryi t with auto but did with manual and there seems to be problems where sometimes it would work on slower shutter speeds but on the faster speeeds only part of the screen had picture in, the rest ws black. I dunno if that was a sync thing with the shutter and the flash firing or what.

if your shutter speed was above 200(i think thats the xsync for that camera) then you will get part of the picture under exposed, anything under that then you should be fine.

flashes are amazing when you learn how to use them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back