Will this lens fit on my wife's D40?

Dadster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

my wife enjoys photography, and has a nikon D40. I recently purchased a Nikkor 24mm F/ 2.8D AF Prime lens for her D 40. I am away on business, and the lens arrived, and she says it doesn't fit? Do we need an adaptor, or is she doing something wrong? I know little about this, but I read and was told this lens would fit her D40. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Fit, yes. Autofocus no.

Perhaps she means it "doesn't work". D-series lenses on DSLRs need to be set to their minimum aperture.

And locked at the minimum aperture. If that is not done, the D40 will give a blinking error code of - fEE (page 111 of the D40 user's manual)

That lens will be manual focus only on a D40.

Does not need to be locked. That merely prevents it from being changed, but not required.

Yeah, she needs to set it to the minimum aperture (the one with the highest f/number, which is in orange), and then the camera will have A,S,M,P exposure modes. But since it is an AF-D lens, and the D40 does not have an in-body AF motor, she will have to manually focus the lens.

But since it is an AF-D lens, and the D40 does not have an in-body AF motor, she will have to manually focus the lens.

Of course you can buy your wife a Nikon D7000 or D7100 which has an in body motor so the lens will AF, just a thought :)

She is saying she can't attach the lens, to the body. As if it does not fit. It seems to have a different? attaching mechanism? I will tell her to keep trying, and thank you for the help. As to a s new 7100.... a newer model is a great idea, just have to save some pennies.
thanks again.

Nikon has not significantly changed their camera lens mount since 1959.

That lens will fit the D40 unless the D40 side of the lens mount is damaged or if the lens side of the mount is somehow damaged.

Last edited:
Other possibilities:

She doesn't actually know how to attach a lens.
The lens shipped is not what was advertised.
You have invisible gremlins living in your house.

just for comparision ..
For some reason my 24mm AF-D lens is a bear to put on my d7000 - like it "doesn't fit but it does" fitting problem. But it's easy on the d600. go figure.

Also a friends d5000 doesn't like the 24mm for anything .. just the similar error Keith mentions and it didn't matter if locked aperture, and some menu setting for MF and another to identify Manual lens Aperture. We gave up, they have a 18-55 anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back