Window and Door, Mennonite Church, Mohnton, Pa

Thanks everyone for the comments. For those who didn't like the bottom crop, I did another. After doing it, I agree. The original was cropped at an awkward location. I also agree about the shadow on the shutters and stone. This is close enough that I may make another trip at a different time of day. Anyway, what says you folks about the new crop? Thanks in advance :D

View attachment 68882
Nice. But after enlarging it to screen size. For the moment I thought that... but after enlarging it I released that oh, those Mennonites, they make good food, but can't make strait door and windows. BTW, you make next trip put on of them in that door. :lol: And that might be a great shot !

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. For those who didn't like the bottom crop, I did another. After doing it, I agree. The original was cropped at an awkward location. I also agree about the shadow on the shutters and stone. This is close enough that I may make another trip at a different time of day. Anyway, what says you folks about the new crop? Thanks in advance :D

View attachment 68882
Nice. But after enlarging it to screen size. For the moment I thought that... but after enlarging it I released that oh, those Mennonites, they make good food, but can't make strait door and windows. BTW, you make next trip put on of them in that door. :lol: And that might be a great shot !

It must have been those sloppy Mennonites contractors, because I certainly didn't forget to square up my photo :wink:

Well, I didn't want to say anything before, but since someone else mentioned straightness...

All the lines on your stones are crooked and bent.

:D

I'm leaning toward liking the original shot best. I've given up trying to get a level shot of any buildings around here. Between the landscape, the old stone and slightly tipped buildings and the tipped doorways - which always seem to tip opposite of the buildings...now I know how a drunk must feel. lol If you like stone, check out Lock Ridge Furnace in Alburtis.

I'm leaning toward liking the original shot best. I've given up trying to get a level shot of any buildings around here. Between the landscape, the old stone and slightly tipped buildings and the tipped doorways - which always seem to tip opposite of the buildings...now I know how a drunk must feel. lol If you like stone, check out Lock Ridge Furnace in Alburtis.

Thanks Carol, I'll be sure to check that out!
As far as level? To me, level is level and let everything fall where it may. In my viewfinder, vintage construction out of plumb and level adds Character.
But this was just sloppy on my part. I wasn't standing square and on the same plane as the building wall which not only slanted my door and window, but it caused the left side of the frame to drift away. No excuses. Just sloppy cameraship.
It's only about 20 minutes from me, so I'm going to go back at a different time to hopefully do away with those shutter shadows and attempt to put a smile on Timors face :wink:
This shot was pretty much a grab and go becuase I wasn't really sure there was even a good subject to be had here, especially with the shutters closed, but after processing it, I think it's worth the gas...To me any way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back