Winter weather 2013-2014 - UGH.

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ugh. An expressive, and amazingly appropriate three-letter description. We've had two-three weeks of -23C to -31C (-10F to -24F) temperatures, plus 30+ cm of snow (12"), then the temperature zooms up to 6C (43F), and we are getting about 1-2 cm of rain (.4-.8 inch), with 90+kph winds (55+ mph), and by tomorrow, we'll get some of the arctic deep-freeze being enjoyed by our friends in the mid-west. I gotta get out today and de-ice the cars then shovel what I can before it becomes one giant ice sculpture. Or torture chamber. Newfoundland is having the character-building experience of 40+cm snowfall, followed by -25C temperatures, and no power since a major relay center suffered a transformer fire, and subsequent collapse of the network. Toronto just emerged from the worst ice storm they have experienced. Of course, the same conditions were experience throughout the mid-west. I have family in NJ and lower NY, and they are both under 'way too much snow, and very cold temperatures.

Of course, we're not alone in our little part of the world in terms of weather calamities. Super Typhoon Haiyan did a very good job making life miserable to those in the Philippines and SE Asia. The recent (and continuing) storms in North-west Europe, have brought very strong winds, and lots of rain, with consequent flooding, coastal surges, and widespread damage. The Middle-east has seen snow, and very cold temperatures, making the lives miserable (that term again) for the refugees from Syria, not to mention all their neighbours.

While the northern hemisphere is shivering, the south Hemisphere is getting the heat, as witnessed by the heat-waves in Argentina and Australia.

I'm really not looking forward to the next two-three months.

Ugh.

We are getting hammered, downpours now covering all the snowy roads turning them into hockey rinks.

Tomorrow is going to be bad once the temps drop way below freezing.

Ugh is right! We are somewhere between the storm and the blizzard, just waiting for the rush of cold air to start really pouring in, we have about a foot of fresh snow so far and expecting another. I don`t mind the weather until Mr Rabbit has to drive to work in it, he hasn`t returned yet this morning so I`m guessing he made it through but with the wicked squalls and blizzard conditions forecast to start shortly my money is on him being stuck at the plant tonight :(

Ugh does not even begin to express my misery and disdain regarding winter weather. The ONLY reason I don't constantly gripe and complain *out loud* is that I realize that many, many, MANY of you are experiencing far worse than we've had it here.
Still, as I often say: There is a REASON I'm a Southerner, dagnabit! I don't like the cold, I don't like the snow, and I definitely do NOT like the ice!
We dodged yet another bullet last night with the precipitation. Got about an inch of snow, here, MAYBE. Ice on the roads is a bigger problem. We don't really have the resources to clear the secondary and tertiary roads very quickly, like places north of us would have, because we just don't deal with it often enough to warrant all the equipment.

But the temperature--DOUBLE UGH! We are set for the lowest temps here in over a decade in the next two days. Yesterday afternoon, it was 61 degrees here--by the same time this afternoon, the temps will have dropped more than 50 degrees!
Pretty sure *I'm* gonna crack, even if my pipes don't. LORD, I hope my pipes don't crack! That would just send me right over the edge--I'd load the car, start driving south and wouldn't come back.

Sharon, it's all relative ;). As I was reading the first time I read it as temp dropped TO 50 not by 50 lol if it had been to 50 I would have called ya on it lol!

This is what we started with, and where we are now after the storm, we are expecting another footish or so...

$image-3893477914.jpg

$image-66762455.jpg

Ugh..... I LOVE IT!!!! We are forecasted to get 40inches in 24 hours! Yay!!!!

I know you all think I'm nuts. Lol!

You all have fun with that!

Ugh..... I LOVE IT!!!! We are forecasted to get 40inches in 24 hours! Yay!!!!

I know you all think I'm nuts. Lol!

I don't think you're nuts :)

I don't like driving in the stuff and it's no fun having the power knocked out, but I like winter. I like cold. The dread that many of you are feeling about the next 2-3 months is exactly the way I feel in about May/June when the hot weather starts.

You all have fun with that!

Being generous people, we get to share the fun with you. Perhaps some melts away during transport, but apparently enough survives to give a taste. :er:

I don't like driving in the stuff and it's no fun having the power knocked out, but I like winter. I like cold. The dread that many of you are feeling about the next 2-3 months is exactly the way I feel in about May/June when the hot weather starts.

Yay! I'm not nuts? ;)
I'll admit I don't enjoy driving in this mess as much as I used to but, I got a truck that'll get me in and out of pretty much anything so I do what I have to do. I just plan ahead for it so that I can give others time. I used to be the jerk who would ride people's asses but, have stopped that cuz why be a prick. The joy is in the journey. :) Now power outages I HATE! Even with a generator for the house, civility quickly changes at the fuel pumps after a remarkably short period of time.

I love winter but I'm so not happy about it right now. We are expecting a flash freeze. The temperture is steadily dropping

Yay! I'm not nuts? ;)
I'll admit I don't enjoy driving in this mess as much as I used to but, I got a truck that'll get me in and out of pretty much anything so I do what I have to do. I just plan ahead for it so that I can give others time. I used to be the jerk who would ride people's asses but, have stopped that cuz why be a prick. The joy is in the journey. :) Now power outages I HATE! Even with a generator for the house, civility quickly changes at the fuel pumps after a remarkably short period of time.

I suspect that what limr ACTUALLY meant was that your appreciation of the winter weather is not sufficient, in itself, to determine that you are nuts. You may, in fact, be completely off your rocker, we just can't determine that simply on the basis of the fact that you like winter. :lmao:
So, don't get your hopes up TOO much. There may be plenty of evidence in other areas to suggest that you ain't right in the head. :D

Yay! I'm not nuts? ;)

I suspect that what limr ACTUALLY meant was that your appreciation of the winter weather is not sufficient, in itself, to determine that you are nuts. You may, in fact, be completely off your rocker, we just can't determine that simply on the basis of the fact that you like winter. :lmao:
So, don't get your hopes up TOO much. There may be plenty of evidence in other areas to suggest that you ain't right in the head. :D

:lol:

Yes, I suppose you're right! "Loves winter" is just one data point. Empirically, I don't have enough evidence to know whether or not John is clinically insane.

But I love winter and I am not crazy, so it's a step in the right direction!

Then again, crazy people never think they are crazy. They insist that they are perfectly sane. It's just the crazy wannabes that go around proclaiming they are crazy so that people will think they are. Hmmmmmm :er:

Right now outside, it's -15° and with the WNW @ 22 mph wind chill it feels like -29°, or 61° below the freezing point of fresh water.

FWIW: 0° on the Fahrenheit temperature scale is the freezing point of salt water.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back