Winter weather 2013-2014 - UGH.

Sitting at home with the kid. He was off for two week winter break and now has had an extra two days off. We had about a foot or more of snow shoveled about 6" Sunday them with the additional snow and wind I shoveled about 24" off the driveway again Monday . Temp is around -20. -40 with the wind chill and this is Indianapolis lol.

We don't have snow, but I have no water because the pipes are frozen? Never been in this situation before. Guess I'm going to the grocery store to stock up on water. We may be taking showers at the gym. Good thing we all have a membership! My daughter has a two hour delay at school.

When I got up this morning, it was so cold here that we didn't even HAVE any degrees. :lmao: It was 0 degrees F.
We have now gotten 3 of them, on our way to a balmy 21 this afternoon.
But the good news for us is that by tomorrow it'll be back to the 40s, and nearly 60 again by Saturday (but raining--still, I'll take that!).
Now, if I can just survive today and one more night of these temps that do NOT belong down here...

Not so bad here, we just started wearing long sleeved shirts and toques :)

Weather_zps68391e06.jpg

Cheers, Don

As far as I'm concerned, they should just stop counting when they get to about -20. I mean, seriously, does it really MATTER whether it's -20 or -23? And that wind chill--"feels like -48" versus "feels like -44"?
They should just go with "Too f'ing cold" and "feels like" you're gonna die if you try to breathe. :lmao:

When I got up this morning, it was so cold here that we didn't even HAVE any degrees. :lmao: It was 0 degrees F.
But the good news for us is that by tomorrow it'll be back to the 40s, and nearly 60 again by Saturday (but raining--still, I'll take that!).
Now, if I can just survive today and one more night of these temps that do NOT belong down here...

I'm near Charlotte and it's supposed to be 70 on Saturday and Sunday.

But right now it's 10 degrees ... :confused:

I'm near Charlotte and it's supposed to be 70 on Saturday and Sunday.

But right now it's 10 degrees ... :confused:

Those kind of temp swings aren't healthy for anyone.

When the temperature drops even by a lot, I'm usually fine, but going the other way is hell on my sinuses. On Sunday the high was about 18. Yesterday, it rained and hit 45 degrees before noon and slowly went to about 27 by midnight. Overnight the bottom seriously dropped out and it's 5 degrees outside.

Yesterday, my head was on fire all day long. The headache would lessen a bit with Advil but it never went away. When I get a sinus headache like that, it will often trigger a migraine that will then last for another 2-3 days.

This morning, though, my head is fine. I am obviously not claiming that the temperatures are all to blame (or credit), but it's definitely a pattern that I've noticed over the past 10-15 years. When weather fluctuates like this, my head is affected on the upswing but not when temps drop again. I figure it's more about barometric pressure than temperatures. Either way, when I see those kinds of swings on the weather report, I brace myself!

When the temperature drops even by a lot, I'm usually fine, but going the other way is hell on my sinuses. On Sunday the high was about 18. Yesterday, it rained and hit 45 degrees before noon and slowly went to about 27 by midnight. Overnight the bottom seriously dropped out and it's 5 degrees outside.

Yesterday, my head was on fire all day long. The headache would lessen a bit with Advil but it never went away. When I get a sinus headache like that, it will often trigger a migraine that will then last for another 2-3 days.

This morning, though, my head is fine. I am obviously not claiming that the temperatures are all to blame (or credit), but it's definitely a pattern that I've noticed over the past 10-15 years. When weather fluctuates like this, my head is affected on the upswing but not when temps drop again. I figure it's more about barometric pressure than temperatures. Either way, when I see those kinds of swings on the weather report, I brace myself!

I have Fibromyalgia and Hypothyroidism, weather definitely plays a role so I can totally relate :hug::

Supposed to near 70 today here... and on Xmas eve it was close to 80...:) Might go work on a tan.

I use salt water nasal spray, have delt with sinus for years. But the spray works. Have Netty Pot but it sucks. Had noticed that every time I swam in the ocean my sinus improved, Later Ed

Last edited:
I use salt water nasal spray, have delt with sinus for years. But the spray works. Have Netty Pot but it sucks. Later Ed

I keep forgetting about saline spray. I used to use it too. Should probably break it out again. I've heard about netty pots but they seem so messy so I never tried them.

The dramatic changes in temperature are definitely a hassle. One of us almost always gets a flu virus, and my husband's sinuses act up.

-5 here last night. Warm compared to most of my northern friends. But inside 50 deg. In the warmest room in the house.
2 blankets and 2 pups, slept in a recliner near the fire place. Stayed warm. Warming up fast now 60+ inside and rising. TDL
thats hill talk for thank da lord. Later ed

Didn't get too much snow this time around but has been below zero and I didn't even look at the back porch thermometer to see how far below it got. Put on old movies and ignored the news/weather til today since now it's up into single digits. More tea and soup!

Heat wave in the 40's expected by this weekend...

Runnah they havin' another outdoor game up by you??

...ya know somethings wrong when you you think 12°f isn't so bad...lol

Well…my winter weather UGH just turned into DOUBLE UGH.

The coldest we got to was 0 degrees, with a wind chill of…oh who cares, it was friggin' cold.

My mother's heat had gone out back in November, so my sweet brother had paid to have a brand-new gas furnace installed in her house.
About a week ago, that nice new furnace quit working. They gave my 87-year-old mother a bit of a runaround about when it would be fixed. My brother (who had been out of town) called on Monday, the day temperatures were still warm but about to drop like they were caught up in a vortex, and they said they'd had to order a part which would be there that day or the next.

So, my brother picked my Mom up and took her to stay at his house Monday night where there would be heat.

Consequently, they didn't know until sometime LATE on Tuesday, when they went by her house for a few things, that the pipes had burst from the cold. The pipes, which were IN THE ATTIC. So, for HOURS, water had been cascading down from the attic, through the ceiling, into her house, from the frozen, burst pipes. The water was over their ankles.

WHAT. A. STINKIN'. MESS. One that could have been avoided if the furnace company had just:
1. Done the job right the FIRST time
2. At least made sure to FIX the problem BEFORE the freezing temps hit. Maybe they really DID have to order a part, but the fact is, they did almost NOTHING about the problem, even to diagnose it, initially. If they had come out as soon as they were told it was broken, they would have been able to get the part and get it replaced long before this cold spell became an issue.

We are conservatively estimating about $10K in damages--carpet, flooring, much of the furniture, ceiling tiles, light fixtures…
Yes, she has insurance which will likely cover most of it. But what a great big, freakin' PAIN. For ANYbody, never mind for an 87-year-old. And all the stuff of just sentimental value; you can't replace that through insurance and after 87 years old, you have a LOT of it.
And yes, she has a place to stay, at my brother's…but that ain't like being HOME, and there is no telling how long it will be before she can move back in to the house.

One "good" thing. She told me that she was afraid most of her photo albums were ruined, because they were on the bottom shelf of a bookcase and probably at least partially submerged. I'll have to look at the albums in question to be sure, but I'm reasonably certain that I have scanned well over 90% of all the old family photos she had, so at least, even if the originals ARE ruined, we will have digital copies. But, I had made her a 50th anniversary scrapbook and a Memory book full of old letters from her father; those are NOT scanned anywhere, so I'm really hoping they are okay. Last time *I* saw, they were higher up in the bookcase, so I'm hoping they hadn't been moved.

Ugh. Double Ugh. Ugh to infinity.

Most reactions

Back