Wireless flash?

ToMaNyToYsJf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've linked my canon 60d and Nissin flash together. When my canon is pointing directly at flash it works fine but if I have a subject infront of the flash I can't get it to fire. So Im assuming the in camera sensor is just not strong enough. Is it worth purchasing a wireless remote slave? Will it be powerful enough to have a subject infront and still fire? Thanks for any input

Yes and Yes...

Zillions of wireless radio trigger systems on the market ranging from the el cheapo Cowboy Studio triggers ($40) up to the top of the line Pocket Wizards ($200+ each).

Yes and Yes...

Zillions of wireless radio trigger systems on the market ranging from the el cheapo Cowboy Studio triggers ($40) up to the top of the line Pocket Wizards ($200+ each).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That
bigthumb.gif

Will triggers work as a slave only or will each fire if they don't have a slave mode(like older low end flashes)

Will triggers work as a slave only or will each fire if they don't have a slave mode(like older low end flashes)

With radio triggers, there is no need to have a slave mode to get them to fire because they will fire through the attached receiver. The way they work is that you have a transmitter attached to the hot shoe of your camera--this sends the signal to each of the flash units you have set up in your shot. Then on each flash unit you want to fire, you will have a receiver attached -- the receiver receives the signal from the transmitter which in turns fires the flash. Simple.

Some flash units have a built in optical slave, for example, the Yongnuo YN 560 I and the YN 560 II units. These are terrific because you can set them to slave mode and they will fire when they see the other flashes fire, and you don't necessarily need a receiver attached to each of them. For example, let's say you own just 1 transmitter and 1 receiver, but you have 3 YN 560 II units and you want to use all of them in a single shot. You can attach the transmitter to the camera, and your receiver to one of the flash units. Then on the other 2 flash units, you can set them both on slave and they will fire when the first unit fires, but they will not need the receiver because they are firing courtesy of their optical slave. Simple.

Note the Pocket Wizard below is a "transceiver" which works both as a transmitter or as a receiver, which makes it super flexible. Not everything is a transceiver though.

Cowboy Studio cheap triggers (cheap but fairly reliable -- good for beginners to get their feet wet):

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (NPT-04+extra receiver): Camera & Photo

Phottix Strato II triggers (better but more expensive):

Amazon.com: Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Nikon: Electronics

Pocket Wizards ("professional quality" at a "professional price"):

Amazon.com: PocketWizard 801-130 Plus III Transceiver: POCKETWIZARD: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just bought a set of Yongnuo RF-603N for Nikon each unit works as a transmitter or a receiver...simple hookup. Make sure you get the right cable for your camera or flash unit. I bought an Aputure CoworkerII and could not seem to get to work but after much fiddling it works, I wanted this unit for time lapse so I decided to keep it rather than go to the hassle of returning it to China. Both units are surprisingly well made.

jwbryson1 said:
With radio triggers, there is no need to have a slave mode to get them to fire because they will fire through the attached receiver. The way they work is that you have a transmitter attached to the hot shoe of your camera--this sends the signal to each of the flash units you have set up in your shot. Then on each flash unit you want to fire, you will have a receiver attached -- the receiver receives the signal from the transmitter which in turns fires the flash. Simple.

Some flash units have a built in optical slave, for example, the Yongnuo YN 560 I and the YN 560 II units. These are terrific because you can set them to slave mode and they will fire when they see the other flashes fire, and you don't necessarily need a receiver attached to each of them. For example, let's say you own just 1 transmitter and 1 receiver, but you have 3 YN 560 II units and you want to use all of them in a single shot. You can attach the transmitter to the camera, and your receiver to one of the flash units. Then on the other 2 flash units, you can set them both on slave and they will fire when the first unit fires, but they will not need the receiver because they are firing courtesy of their optical slave. Simple.

Note the Pocket Wizard below is a "transceiver" which works both as a transmitter or as a receiver, which makes it super flexible. Not everything is a transceiver though.

Great to hear, I have a canon 430 ex and a couple of the older canon 200
Looks like I know my next purchase

Most reactions

New Topics

Back